Topic: MacBook Pro crash with FF400 and 2.66, 10.6.2

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.2), running it in 32 bit mode with Logic, Live and MaxMSP.

I had some troubles getting the Fireface 400 to be recognized when I connected it to the running computer (the FF400 is PSU-powered), so I decided to upgrade it to the latest SL-drivers. I also updated the FF400 to the most recent firmware a week ago, the problem persists.

Ever since, my MBP crashes (I can't control anything with mouse, trackpad internal or external keyboard, only button that works is the on/off switch) when I connect the FF400 to the computer.

When I subsequently restart, everything works fine, mixer and the other software start up automatically and the sound is excellent.

The MacBook Pro is a 2009 model 17", 2.8 Ghz with 4GB of RAM. Logic, Live and Max are at the most up to date versions, but it doesn't matter whether or not they are running, the computer crashes either way.

any ideas what could be causing this? browsing the forum, this seems rather isolated, so I guess it would have to do with my configuration.

I bought my FF400 in late 2008, if that makes any difference...

Thanks for any help and pointers!
Kai

2 (edited by jwloader 2010-03-31 20:08:18)

Re: MacBook Pro crash with FF400 and 2.66, 10.6.2

Unfortunately mine does exactly the same thing - I have exactly the same laptop as you also running OS X 10.6.2 and Logic 9.1.1 in 32 bit mode.  Locks the whole machine up if you connect the FF after boot up, can't bring up Force Quit Applications so the only way back is to cold boot the Mac by holding down the power button!

I just installed OS X 10.6.3 and it's still happening, I guess we just should live with connecting the FF before power up.

Cheers,

Jim

here too. I just upgraded to 10.6.3 in the hope that this fixes *anything*. it's just the same problem.

fwiw I have version 1.69 of the Mac Fireface Flash updater installed.

I bought this interface because RME were known for their rock solid drivers. I am beginning to fear this reputation is changing...

btw do you have any other drivers for audio interfaces installed? I have the Line6 Podxt driver installed -- but it shouldn't be active when the Pod is not connected, right?

I used to have an Apogee, but traded it in so I could get a Windows-compatible interface as I run both OS X and Win 7, so I still have the Apogee Maestro software installed. I also have a Digidesign 003+ Rack for running Pro Tools so there are Core Audio drivers for that too. In theory I would have thought the drivers should co-exist with the RME drivers as long as both interfaces aren't both connected simultaneously to the host computer, so you should be OK with your Line6 Pod.

But right now I have a much bigger problem - my FireFace 400 is refusing to output audio full stop, so I've posted a description of the problem in the forum hoping RME can help me out....

Cheers,

Jim