Topic: Fireface FF800 mic inputs, gain knob problem?

Hello everyone!

I have a strange problem. First I thougt that my AKG C 4000 B mic was broken.
I had light distortion when recording vocals. I used analog input number seven on
recording vocals and i turned gain knob enough to reach adequate input level in cubase.

Signal in Cubase was about -5db below clipping and gain knob in FF800  was almost
at the full level. Yet the clip indicator never flashed in FF800. I recorded my own  vocal
with AKG with no attenuation (-10 db pad) and with quite a strong power.  The resulting
waveform in Cubase was still quite a weak, well below the clipping level. The sound was
yet heavily distorted, obviously due the level of the gain knob.

Now it seems that mic inputs in FF800 doesn't work in the proper way. I tested all mic inputs and they
all worked in the same way. Even I turned gain knobs to the full level I didn't manage to get clip indicator
flash. Only the green "signal present" was flashing. And the output signal is weak. I tested all the
input/output level-options (lo/hi gain, +4dbu, -10dbV) with the same results. Analog input number 1
(instrument) is working ok.

I use my FF800 also with ADAT inputs (I have Soundcraft Spirit Digital 328 mixer) and they are working
correctly.

Driver version is 2.9992 and hardware revision is 2.77. I use PC and I have Windows Vista with the
all updates.

Has anyone any idea what is wrong in this, any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Artsi

Re: Fireface FF800 mic inputs, gain knob problem?

Did you turn on the Phantom Power to the mic?

FF800, i7 970, 12GB Ram, Win 7 64, Cubase 5, WaveLab 7

Re: Fireface FF800 mic inputs, gain knob problem?

Yes, I tested mic inputs with condenser mics (phantom power on) and with dynamic mics
(phantom power off) with the same results.