Topic: RME HDSPe PCI Express Card breakout box compatibility

Hi

Is the RME HDSPe PCI Express Card compatible with all 'firewire' type break out boxes produced by RME?

I have an old Hammerfall card which I am replacing and I wonder if I can just replace it with the HDSPe card, but keep the existing break-out-box? Unfortunately I can't remember exactly which BOB I have (I am at work and system is at home) but it would be whichever BOB came with the Hammerfall card at that time.

Also, I am currently running XP 32bit, but will potentially be upgrading to Windows 7 x64. Do drivers exist for both of these flavours of Windows for the RME HDSPe?

Thanks in advance smile

Re: RME HDSPe PCI Express Card breakout box compatibility

Is the RME HDSPe PCI Express Card compatible with all 'firewire' type break out boxes produced by RME?

No. The HDSPe cards provides a special RME protocol and can only be used with RME Multiface, Multiface II and Digiface. The FireWire interfaces (Fireface 400/800) need a usual FireWire connection and can?t be connected to the HDSPe ExpressCard or HDSPe PCI card.

Also, I am currently running XP 32bit, but will potentially be upgrading to Windows 7 x64. Do drivers exist for both of these flavours of Windows for the RME HDSPe?

Yes. You can download the latest drivers in the download section of the RME website.

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut

Thanks for your reply. When I said 'firewire' I just meant the connector/cable between the card and the BOB - it is a Firewire type connector. I think my BOB is a Multiface (I'll check tonight when I get home). If it is a Multiface, then are there any caveats I need to be aware of using this BOB in conjunction with the HDSPe card? What are the differences between the Multiface and the Multiface II (I can't see any info for the Multiface on the RME website)?

Cheers

You can use Multiface I or II, Digiface, and RPM with any HDSP(e) PCI, Cardbus, or Expresscard interface. Only thing to consider: MF II on an older PCI card (pre-1.9) will require an external PSU.

MFII adds a better heaphone output, new converter chips, and input levels (+4/-10) switchable on the front panel.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Many thanks for the quick replies - it has made my decision much easier smile. I'll stick with my Multiface for now and just get myself a new HDSPe card.

Thanks again