Topic: Latest drivers 3.012

Try to install them and got the warning "unsigned" or something like that. Have to roll back since they don't get installed.
Am I missing a trick?
rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

Re: Latest drivers 3.012

you can (and must) 'force' install of the drivers...

Does this:
"Improved compatibility to Windows 7 FW driver"
mean New or Legacy 1394 Bus Drivers?

Grag38 wrote:

you can (and must) 'force' install of the drivers...

Yes, I forced  the install but the message that I got at some point was different, and even if win perform the whole usual task and ask to reboot, the drivers are not installed correctly. I ended up having 2 Totalmix icones and not working, and the settings not working either.

ekiekitabaang wrote:

Does this:
"Improved compatibility to Windows 7 FW driver"
mean New or Legacy 1394 Bus Drivers?

Well here using 2.9992; under Win7 RC x64 I had to use the Legacy, under RTM &  2.9992, the TI ones are working fine.
This is the detail for the 3.012:

V 3.012 (03/29/2010, current firmware: 2.77 / 1.70)
- New core routines, better P&P support, several BSODs removed
- Entering Standby possible even while playback active
- Improved compatibility to Windows 7 FW driver
- New Settings dialog with WDM sample rate control
- Improved WDM compatibility, Loudspeaker surround routines reworked

Thanks,
rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

rwil wrote:

I ended up having 2 Totalmix icones and not working, and the settings not working either.

Exactly the same here... but both were working fine... one had new settings, the other had old (my) settings.

I guess this happened because my comp didn't reboot successfully the first time 3.012 were installed. Had to press reset button and after successful reboot, I got 2 totalmix icons in taskbar.

When I check the registry there were double entries for "fireface.exe" and "firefacemix.exe".

I deleted double entries and everything works fine now (XP sp3)... except for DigiCheck, but I already downloaded updated exe file, so it should be fine now...

BTW: I like new layout so much more! Thank you!

b.

https://granurise.com

6 (edited by rwil 2010-03-31 23:52:38)

Thanks to report! I'll give another shot tonight. I think I will 1st remove the previous drivers and perform the latest install after. I read that you are using XP, since that  I'm using a dual boot with XP, maybe I'll try also up there...

No luck here under win7 x64. I tried many things like to install using both FW drivers sets, but I can't get them to work.

rw

No probs installing here on Win 7 x64 - TI 1394 driver.
I noticed your install problems and exited both totalmix and settings before doing the manual install - no idea if it helped or not!
Driver working great so far - will have to get used to new settings dialog.

I think these drivers need some explanations.

They use the same Windows sample rate handling as the drivers of the UC, which makes it all more compatible to home theater and games, or multimedia in general, but slightly confusing for users that know the former FF drivers. As you can read in the web on different places with Vista MS removed the capability to change the WDM sample rate from the application side. MS thinks this is not necessary anyway, the WDM kernel will sample rate convert in realtime so what. The sample rate should be set to 48 kHz, so you can play back DVDs without any digital surround sound problems (AC-3 via SPDIF).

Just in case you want to change the hardware sample rate you have to enter the properties dialog of all (!) stereo devices of your audio interface and set them to the same sample rate (imagine this with a MADI card!).

Obviously this is total BS, and therefore all (I think) interface manufacturers include a workaround in their drivers: the sample rate is set from one place, like the card's settings dialog, then all devices are unloaded and reloaded while telling Windows that the current sample rate is the only one supported. This way they are all set to the same sample rate with just one mouse click.

There are two problems with this approach:

- unloading and reloading the driver/devices causes a high system CPU load for at least 5 seconds, sometimes up to 30 seconds. As WDM and ASIO should work fully multiclient their sample rates are synchronized. Using ASIO alone and switching to a different sample rate will still cause the same to WDM, thus adding this load for a short time.

- unloading and reloading the driver/devices takes some time. You can open the sound control panel and see how they get deleted and added again. Usually this is done in under a second, but sometimes the same happens in slow motion (20 s).

It should now also be clear that you will not be able to change the hardware's sample rate while a WDM (multimedia) playback is active. The application will loose its audio outputs and either stop or no longer respond. Exit it first, change the sample rate, then start it again.

While this all might sound horrible, in real-world working with this scheme is no problem for most users, they don't even notice the CPU load effects etc. We never got complains about this from any Fireface UC user, and there are a few thousands already.

This scheme will not be added to the HDSP(e) series driver for several reasons. We (everyone) are now waiting for Microsoft to deliver what they promised. After getting beaten by nearly any manufacturer of audio interfaces they added a new way of changing the WDM sample rate to Win 7, that no longer requires to unload/reload the driver/devices. Unfortunately we (and others) think this new scheme is buggy and does not yet work correctly. Let's wait for a fix...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias for all these usefull infos.

So, I found my problem, and which is my fault! fryingpan
My habit is to uncompress the zip file and to move the content into my main drive temp folder. This time I move all files but not the ?fireface.cat?!! So that is why I was not able to fully install the latest!
All seems fine and the new settings is looking cool. I found some new things into the win7 audio panel either.
Looking foward to try them into Cubase!
Last thing: I have also to manually delete double key reg to avoid 2 totalmix and settings icones.
I also found that the 768 samples buffer size is gone now, and which was my fav one!
Anyway will try 512...
Cheers,
rw

One thing: I tried to use Digicheck (5.23), and my ff400 is detected as;
Asio drivers: Hammerfall DSP
Device: HDSP Madi

rw

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7866

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh yes, Digicheck has his own forum.
That one works fine!
Thanks

MC wrote:

I think these drivers need some explanations.

They use the same Windows sample rate handling as the drivers of the UC, which makes it all more compatible to home theater and games, or multimedia in general, but slightly confusing for users that know the former FF drivers. As you can read in the web on different places with Vista MS removed the capability to change the WDM sample rate from the application side. MS thinks this is not necessary anyway, the WDM kernel will sample rate convert in realtime so what. The sample rate should be set to 48 kHz, so you can play back DVDs without any digital surround sound problems (AC-3 via SPDIF).

I am having a nightmare with firefaces support on this.
I am trying to get a solution for this scenario:

playing back files with different sample rates & bit depths via WDM , & having the Firefaces Switch accordingly,
Is that possible at all with Windows 7 ??

The basic principle in Vista/7 is not to change the hardware sample rate for WDM and let the kernel resample everything. You could start with the highest sample rate, so you don't loose quality. If you decide to change the hardware sample rate all the time - yes, this is not as easy as before, see above.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

16 (edited by Byt3 2010-04-08 14:57:10)

Thank you Matthias.

This is the current situation however, Unlike XP, Windows Resamples Everything even if you play the same sample rate/bit depth.
So even if you can do it quickly via the new driver's control panel, essentially you are still going through windows src.

Currently the ONLY way to bypass this problem (partial format support, no 24 bit communication,no interleaved multi channel )
& take control of the fireface is using the older Fireface driver's MME option,
which is now discontinued (Bring it back!), so we are left with nothing for the Firefaces.

I was thinking about maybe RME can come up with a workaround that,
in the Driver itself there will be a way to take control of the device, & still respond to sample format changes.
(for xp I used to install digicheck for this job when fed externally).

What do you think ?

Byt3 wrote:

What do you think ?

If you don't need more than 2GB of RAM (if you don't use huge sound libraries, for example), then why not go back to XP Pro and a fast Intel Core2 Duo or i-core?  Newer isn't necessarily better, at least in Microsoft's case.

Ira

I agree, I honestly think windows 7 is an overpriced product, & maybe even the last of it's kind, hopefully open source will catch up.
However, I cannot tell clients not to move to windows 7.
Some recent machines & hardware have other problems in windows XP,
& Some get mahines with the OS preloaded & want their old hardware to work.

19 (edited by rwil 2010-04-08 20:36:48)

Byt3 wrote:

I am trying to get a solution for this scenario:

playing back files with different sample rates & bit depths via WDM , & having the Firefaces Switch accordingly,
Is that possible at all with Windows 7 ??

I did not tried all available combinations but using drivers 2.9992 (FF400), I have no problem to run and play Cubase via Asio at 44100 using adat 5/6 for main out, and to use WDM on adat 7/8 to play files at 16 or 24bit, 44100 or 48000, using foobar & media player, and all of these apps in same time.
With the latest 3.012 it works fine at 44100, but as soon that I try to use 48000 from FF, I'm getting no sounds from foobar and Mediaplayer. So I have to look at this problem to try to find if that is possible.

rw

20 (edited by Byt3 2010-04-09 03:46:26)

erm.. Sorry .. ?
no, you dont.

You have window RESAMPLING everything except ASIO, please study the subject before replying ..

What we probably need first is for RME to change the driver so it will not be detected as Speakers,
but as some kind of unknown audio device, & find a way around Windows 7 BS, ASAP.

Byt3 wrote:

please study the subject before replying ..

Ok, I readed again, and slowly this time.
Its been long time that I used or needed MME, ASIO and WDM fill both in a better manner my needs under win.
But well, I can only wish you that maybe enough users share your needs and to get what you are looking for...

rw