Topic: Fireface UC with pro tools

so I know I need some m-audio/digi hardware to run pro tools. But I also know that there is a workaround to still use the FF preamps and AD/DA by connecting it to an m-audio interface with ADAT or s/pdif. So how do I go about this? I just want the cheapest possible way and it has to be a USB interface, no firewire for me.

will I still I have to plug in the FF with the USB to my laptop?
will going through another interface cause additional latency?
will I lose any sound quality?

thanks!

PS: I would love to have an rme drive to use it with pro tools directly but I guess that would have to be something not official. But I believe there is a lot of RME owner that would love it.

Re: Fireface UC with pro tools

You could use SPDIF with M-Box USB series and not lose on the sound quality.
You would have to plugin FirefaceUC first, adjust your settings once, then you do not need to have it plugged in.

that's good to know, but I suspect that since I am running through the m-box I will have to work with its latency.
does anybody know if RME is even slightly interested in doing something like Mackie has done with their firewire mixers to let Mackie users utilize PT?

I wouldn't have thought so but I would love to bin my 003R and use my FF800 directly with PToys!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Pro Tools limits the buyer to buy their own hardware.
If they offered an open driver development platform or use MAC's AU there would be no problem.
RME usually has no problem developing for all available platforms.
However DIGIs marketing policy limits the user to their hardware only.

Besides Mackie, how many non-Digi interfaces will work with Protools I wonder?