Topic: Objective: convert vinyl records to digital

Wanting to convert some of my vinyl records to digital and knowing that HDSP RPM is no longer available, what model(s) are recomended having in mind an high sound quality. I use a portable PC Dell with XP.

Thanks in advance

Re: Objective: convert vinyl records to digital

Any RME interface with analog input will be fine, but you need an RIAA preamp if the player does not include one already. This adds the gain and EQ curve needed for proper reproduction.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

You could use any device with a line input in combination with an external phono preamp.
A customer just told me about a software that will do the RIAA equalization, he was planning to connect the record player's output to a mic input to amplify the signal. Don't recall the name of the software, though...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

....a software that will do the RIAA equalization, he was planning to connect the record player's output to a mic input to amplify the signal. Don't recall the name of the software, though...

An RIAA de-emphasis preset is a common feature in various major DAW's.
The 'Virtual Preamplifier' in Diamond Cut products such as DC8 is powerful and flexible, with a range of RIAA equalization curves and adjustments.

<http://www.enhancedaudio.com/>

Thanks for your answers. Since yesterday I had the oportunity to study a little bit the RME catalogue and saw the ADI-2, do you think it will cover my needs in terms of transfer from vinyl to digital. NOTE: As my preamplifier doesn't have a specific input for the turntable I already use a phono box from Project.

Thanks in advance

ADI-2 will be great, if you already have a sound card with SPDIF In (optical or coaxial).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Unfortunately my Dell Latitude E4300 doesn't have this SPDIF In, so probably this ADI-2 is not the apropriate device I need.