Topic: Older RAM Incompatible with Windows 7 64 Bit ?

I hope I am not right, but it sounds like that some FF 800s have older RAM that any Firmware higher than 2.47 will have issues such as crackling on some outs until the unit warms up.  I know this from experience when upgrading from 2.47 to 2.66.   I was able to back flash to 2.47 which I didn't want to risk.  If I use Windows 7 64 bit will I need the latest firmware (ver. 2.77) and the latest driver (2.9992) ?  I never expected when I bought my FF800 I would have to pay extra to make it work for its intended use a few years down the road.  I will have to research where I can have it serviced in the U.S. and the fee. 

Question 1)  If I upgrade the firmware from 2.47 to 2.77 will I likely still have the crackling issues on some analog outs at frequencies higher than 48 kHz ?

Question 2) Do I need and upgrade to firmware 2.77 to be compatible with Windows 7 64 bit ?

Question 3) Does anyone know the exact procedure to back flash to 2.47 ?  I can't seem to find it on the forum anymore.  I forget the exact point where the FF800 needs to be shut down to backflash which I hope I will never have to do again.

Thanks,
John

Re: Older RAM Incompatible with Windows 7 64 Bit ?

The crackle problem is limited to a handful of units produced around 2005.
2.47 is not required for any OS.
The point is that 2.77 includes lots of improvements and bugfixes. See readme of firmware/driver.
Servicing these old units is in your own interest as the unit is also checked for other problems (blown capacitors, power supply etc - read this forum), and if found usually fixed for free. You just pay for the basic service.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Older RAM Incompatible with Windows 7 64 Bit ?

Thanks for getting back so quickly.  I registered with support and I will contact Synthax about sending my unit in for the Older RAM Issue and possibly any other routine issues.  I guess I've had it for 5 years.  I'm thinking about getting a second FF800 and the assistace I get from moderators on this forum makes me feel confident about buying from RME.  Hopefully Synthax will help me out.

Thanks,

John