Topic: ADI-8 QS analog outputs died

HA! HA! One problem solved, one problem arrives! HeadScratch
Now, As I told on my last topic, the ADAT connection is OK, all is synchronous, but there's another problem: the analog out signal is at "zero" level.
The analog in signal is OK: it is at correct level, but there's no signal from the analog out and all my equipment is plugged at the channels 1 to 4 of analog connections. The result: I can hear the sound, because the ADAT synchronization is OK and the software is on ADAT about play and record, but, if I change the settings from ADAT to analog/speakers, I cannot hear anything.
Also the "input state" on the ADI-8 QS appears as dead if I stop the ADAT connection and I try the analog.
I tried to change some parameter on software, but all is right on the HDSP9632. The actual configuration is: ADAT and SPDIF are synchronous at 48 KHz, clock mode is in Autosync, the Pref. Sync Ref is "Word clock", because I have a Lucid genx192 as master word clock, Check input and syncalign are active, SPDIF IN is selected as coaxial.
Another thing is the software MIDI Remote 1.6: the "State" box is always "No response" with selected: clock as "wordclock", input "analog" and digital in "ADAT".
Another problem to solve... What can I do, please? I'm sorry for the disturb, but, until I understood all, I need help from an expert person.
Thanks a lot!

Re: ADI-8 QS analog outputs died

Hi ccl3no2,

I do not quite understand your setup. The ADI-8QS can convert ADAT to Analog and Analog to ADAT at the same time, no need to change anything. If you need eight channels ADAT-to-Analog plus eight channels Analog-to-ADAT, you need to select ADAT as digital input, a line level for analog input, the correct clock (which you have set up already) and further, you should enter the setup menu of the 8QS and check the level-settings (refer to manual) for TE, GE and dL. On your computer, make sure you route the signal correctly to the ADAT output.

Please let me know anything that is not clear to you.
Max

Thank you very much Max! :-)
I verified all: TE, GE and dL are off, I arranged all the input and output levels for every channel, the general clock is ok, but no signal goes to the analog outputs. I try to explain all better than my first message: the HDSP 9632 is connected to the ADI-8 QS by ADAT cables. Also the analog output of HDSP 9632 is connected: the analog out goes to the dBmax (TC Electronic). The dB max is digitally connected to the Dorrough 280 and the Finalizer (Always TC Electronic). The balanced output of Finalizer goes to the equalizer and then the balanced output of equalizer arrives at the analog input 1 and 2 of ADI-8 QS. From the ADI-8 QS another pair of cables (From analog out 1 and 2) go to the SPL Volume2, the volume control, and, then, from Volume2, the last pair of cable go to power amplifier. A second pair of cables from the analog output (Channels 3 and 4) of the ADI-8 QS go to the spectrum analyzer. My problem is: I hear the sound, but all items (dB max, finalzer, etc.) I use to modify the sound are as unplugged: I can see the signal that comes and exits correctly, because I can see it on the input state of ADI-8 QS, but the output is linear, as the primary signal, with no effect, gain, limit, etc. This is now my real problem. Other little things to be precise: If I choose on the computer ADAT 1 out (Of HDSP 9632 naturally), I hear the sound, if I choose analog 1 there's no sound out of the loudspeaker and the output state display of ADI-8 QS "sleeps" with -999999999999 dB rotfl signal but the analog in 1 and 2 are perfect: there's the correct signal. Now the question is: how can I send the signal from the first pair of analog in to the first and second pair of analog out to have the sound that goes to spectrum analyzer and loudspeaker optimized by all the other items? I think that I hear the sound because is the ADAT connection from/to HDSP 9632 and ADI-8 QS that automatically is sent to the first analog out...
Damn! It's like to solve a hard rebus on the puzzle magazines! :-O
What do you mean when you say ?make sure you route the signal correctly to the ADAT output??

Hi ccl3no2,
thanks for the detailed description of your system. The problem is that the 8QS will always convert a digital signal to the analog outputs, thus, when no ADAT (or AES or MADI) is sent to the device, no signal will show up on the outputs.
What you need is some sort of routing, and that does not happen within the 8QS, it happens within your computer, and one way to solve your problem is like this:
1. Install newest driver for your 9632.
2. open TotalMix
3. select Preset 1 and "Submix View"
4. now start routing. If you're not familiar with the concept of TotalMix, you might want to read the introduction in the HDSP manual.
What you need to route is:
- Software playback 1/2 to Analog out 1/2 (automatically in Preset 1)
- ADAT input 1/2 to ADAT output 1/2 (mute the software playback in the middle, otherwise you risk feedback)
- ADAT input 1/2 to ADAT output 3/4
Routing is done by selecting the output on the third row of Totalmix and then adjusting the gain to 0dBFS on the corresponding input channels (hardware inputs such as ADAT are on the first row, software playback channels are on the second row).
If you want to record your finalized material, set the input of your DAW software to ADAT 1/2.

See if this helps...
Max

Hi,

this will help with the mixer: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5039
BTW, why use the analog output of the 9632 if you have some analog outputs free on the QS, with even better conversion?

As for the MIDI Remote: How is the connection set up? Are you running MIDI to and from the converter? Have you selected the right MIDI ports in the Remote software?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Many thanks to Max and the RME Support. Now I'm starting to understand the routing. Now I tried to do this: I unplugged the analog out of the HDSP 9632 and I plugged the cables to the analog out 1 and 2 of the ADI-8 QS. The analog out 3 and 4 go to loudspeakers and the analog out 5 and 6 go to the spectrum analyzer. All run excellent. Remains only the last problem: as I told on my last post, the other equipments work perfectly (dBMax, Finalizer, equalizer...), but I cannot hear the finalized sound. The finalized sound, that exits from the equalizer, goes to the analog input 1 and 2 of the ADI-8 QS, but I hear only the original sound, not the finalized one. Is there perhaps other parameters to change or modify on the Totalmix about routing to hear the finalized sound, that's plugged in the analog input 1 and 2 of the ADI-8 QS? Or I must send the finalized sound to the line in input of HDSP9632 directly?
Step by step I'm learning this beautiful equipment, but, I ensure you, it's very difficult to learn all quickly when the last audio equipment was a... sound blaster!!! :roll Very useful is the tutorial video about the total mix. For the MIDI: the only item I think to connect to the MIDI in and out ports is the Yamaha motif rack. Is it right to this connection or it's better to connect it to one USB port?

Chloropicrin, you need to send the input signal of 1&2 to the output channels (top row to bottom), instead of the playback signal (middle row).

The 9632 has got two nice MIDI connectors... You can connect these to the QS for remote control.

Regards
Daniel fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ah, Chloropicrin! I was thinking about Rachmaninoff Op. 3 No. 2 in C sharp minor, but the CL didn't fit in... anyway, don't put that on your 8QS :-)

9 (edited by ccl3no2 2010-04-09 23:05:42)

Finally it's all right! I can hear the finalized sound! :-) I think I understood the TotalMix. Obviously I need more time to completely learn all about it, but the first step is done! So, if I'll need to record some music or sound I can connect the analog in 3 and 4 on the ADI-8 QS, then on the Totalmix I send the input signal 3 and 4 to output channels, or I connect directly the line in of the HDSP 9632.
Your help and patience is been very useful for me, The same about the tutorial videos. Many thanks to all!

10 (edited by ccl3no2 2010-04-11 10:55:15)

P.S.: is there anyone that could tell me his address, so I can send him a bottle of champagne to celebrate this solved problem? rotfl