Topic: PCIe/Multiface/Fedora12

Dear community:

I am attempting to install a Multiface II with PCIe on an Intel Core2 vPro Intel HP Compaq Minitower.

1)  To preface, I am receiving ACPI errors from Fedora 12, which hang the system before finishing the boot process.  I have been able to navigate the ACPI/BIOS errors via suggestions on various Fedora forums (namely, acpi=off at boot), though there are still occasional freezes.  I mention this as it may be the root of my problems after all.

2)  I have installed the latest kernel from both Fedora and CCRMA and get through the boot process about 70% of the time with both kernels without any hangs during boot.

3)  hdsploader does not see the PCIe card.

4)  I detach and reattach snd-hdsp many times and reboot a few times.

5)  Eventually, the card will show up!  This is typically after a few hard reboots and unplugging and replugging everything for good measure.  But, hdsploader, alas, cannot find the firmware at the correct location saying something along the lines of 'unable to read . . . '

6)  So, then I need to move the firmware multiface_firmware_rev11 . . . to the correct folder because it seems to always be loaded into another part of the system.

7)  When the firmware is moved, hdsploader fails to load by saying the device is 'busy or in use', or something along these lines.

8)  During all this, the red error host light is illuminated.

9)  The clincher?  I can get the entire system running flawlessly on the same machine with a clean install of Ubuntu Hardy in about 30 minutes even though I have to completely rebuild ALSA from source.

10)  The only difference I can tell is that Fedora does not like the ACPI/BIOS of this machine, while Ubuntu has no problem.  I think Fedora 12 is the culprit.

11)  Finally, Fedora 12 on an HP Intel Pentium D has no problem running an HDSP 9632.

I put all this out here for I am at a loss.  For research reasons, I need to run a Fedora set up and I have scoured the boards.  Any ideas, any similar experiences.

I close with this, could permissions be a problem.  I typically install items as root.  Maybe I should not do this?

Thanks all,

Jason

Re: PCIe/Multiface/Fedora12

I thought I might follow up with the 'solution'.  It seems my conflict was two-fold:  first, Fedora 12 not playing nice (ie, booting easily) on the Core2 vPro hardware and, second, the RME card and Multiface II not playing nice with Fedora 12.  So, I backed down to Fedora 11.  The upshot being that everything was up and running almost immediately.

Does anyone have Multiface II with RME PCIe working under Fedora 12?

To close, though hdsploader remains unable to 'open file multiface_firmware_rev11.bin for reading', nonetheless, the firmware loads.  Perhaps the planetccrma install takes care of this for me?

Regards,

Jason