Topic: Fireface UC or 400 with new Macbook Pro?

Hello,

I've been waiting for the new generation of Macbook Pros before investing in an RME interface, hoping that they'd bring back the ExpressCard slot to the 15", and of course I'm very disappointed that they haven't.  Because I'm carrying my computer around a lot I really don't want the 17" model, so I'm reluctantly going forward with the 15" anyway.

My question is:  Given that I'll be using one or, often, more than one hard drive connected via FireWire, am I better off with the Fireface 400 in that daisychain, or with the Fireface UC on the USB bus?  I'm tempted towards the FF400, mostly because it's bus powered, but wonder if having all the hard drives and the audio interface on the same Firewire bus will cause problems.  (I have experienced problems with Pro Tools using the FW Mbox 2 Pro plus FW hard drives on an older Mac.)

A related question:  Does the FF400 limit the performance of the whole FireWire bus to 400 speed?

thanks,
Ernst

Re: Fireface UC or 400 with new Macbook Pro?

My impression from looking around on this forum is that the UC is the way of the future, so I'm assuming that that's what's recommended in this case.  But since I don't quite understand the language of "chipsets", I thought I'd check and see if anyone had any relevent advice for this specific new model of computer (Macbook Pro 15" i7).  Would anyone suggest anything other than the UC?

Guess the UC is great.
But I will test the FF400 with the new Macbook PRO 17" in a few days (waiting for delivery).

P

Hi psvennevig,

I am VERY interested to hear the test results of your FF400/MBP i7 combo as I have a FF400 already and am thinking of getting that MBP.

Cheers,
Andrew.

refer:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8050