Topic: Release candidate of the Windows driver 3.x (3.013) now available:

The second release candidate of the Windows driver 3.x (3.013) is now available:

!!!! Update: V 3.016 - please read below. !!!!

This is a new generation of FireWire drivers with these (and lots more) changes:

- New core routines, better P&P support, several BSODs removed

- Entering Standby possible even while playback active

- Improved compatibility to Windows 7 FW driver

- New Settings dialog with WDM sample rate control

- Improved WDM compatibility, Loudspeaker surround routines reworked

The newer second rc fixes a sample rate change problem under ASIO and WDM-KS.

Note that some of the previous incompatibilities posted were not existent: we had forgot to make clear that this new driver needs firmware 1.70/2.77, and the Settings dialog did not include the firmware check that is part of the older driver. It is now back.

Also note that Sonar will only work with ASIO in 24 bit mode (that hasn't changed, but the setting in Sonar has changed, as noted in this forum).

If you change ASIO sample rates regularly then you should start checking this driver by NOT setting the FF to be the system playback device (Loudspeaker).

Also note that the buffer size for WDM/WDM-KS is quite small (max. 256 samples) and will lead to problems in Double and Quad Speed mode (unchanged to driver 2.9, but we hope to improve this later).

Please report your findings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Release candidate of the Windows driver 3.x (3.013) now available:

Hi,

hab den Treiber grad installiert und er l?uft sehr gut bei mir (in Verbindung mit Cubase 5.1.1). Mir ist allerdings beim 3.012 schon aufgefallen, dass sowohl der Mixer als auch der Settings-Dialog nach dem Windows-Start ge?ffnet sind (Windows 7 x64). Das war beim 2.9992 nicht der Fall. Ist zwar kein Showstopper, aber ich fands vorher angenehmer :-). Kann man das evtl. irgendwo abstellen/?ndern? Hab nix gefunden...

Viele Gr??e
Jan

OS X 10.11.6, FF800 (latest driver), Cubase 8.5, Logic Pro X

3 (edited by sam242 2010-04-21 16:43:53)

win 7 x64,i7 920,fireface 800,firmware 2.77, conected TI firewire Onbord gigabyte ex58ud4

installed driver,all looking good...(double icons in the taskbar from 3.012 fixed).
clean instal ( Deleted all old drivers from File Rhapsody)

2 things I noticed that is still strange with this driver:

1.cubase 5.1.1- in midi setings there's 4 direct music fireface midi ports 2*ins and 2*outs(also in abelton live 8.1) should be only 2.

2.same behavior like driver 2.9992(and other drivers) - if driver installed under usual TI firewire NOT LEGACY one of the cpu cores in task manger (core 5) Utilization bouncing up and down from 7%to30%to70% with just opening any audio app that use fireface driver.

Q-is there a newer Digicheck that works better with this driver?

Regards
sam

Hi!

I use mainly Sonar PE 8.5.3 (32 bit) in ASIO mode. This version works much better than the previous one but I have one issue that I could already reproduce:

- Open Sonar
- Open project
- Start playback.  => Works OK.
- Go to Audio Options
- Do nothing but press [OK].
- Start playback.  => Now sound is stuttering (like slow motorboating) and nothing but Close Sonar & Turn off/on Fireface 800 will heal it. If you only close Sonar and try playback with for example Winamp with ASIO plugin, it will not play anything. However, Sonar does not lose control - playback can be stopped anytime. Turning Audio engine off/on has no influence.

Another problem: entering Edit / Audio Hardware Setup in Audition 3 hangs Audition.exe.

My setup: Win 7 64 bit, i7 950, 6 GB, 2 x Fireface 800 2.77, buffer 256

sonarmods.com

sam242 wrote:

1.cubase 5.1.1- in midi setings there's 4 direct music fireface midi ports 2*ins and 2*outs(also in abelton live 8.1) should be only 2.

2.same behavior like driver 2.9992(and other drivers) - if driver installed under usual TI firewire NOT LEGACY one of the cpu cores in task manger (core 5) Utilization bouncing up and down from 7%to30%to70% with just opening any audio app that use fireface driver.

(Win7 x64, i7 920, 2 x FF800 conected to PCIE FW800, Gigabyte EX58UD4)
Both above confirmed here. If I switch to OHCI Legacy driver CPU core bounce disappears. Any known issue using this driver as opposed to the more recent?

Seems very good so far. With 3.012, and using wdm, I was loosing sound if samplerate > 44.1.
With 3.013, I tried 44.1, 48 & 96 and they all works fine.
Cheers,
rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

Thanks for this first feedback!

TM and Settings opening on start? Should not be the case, and is not the case in general.

The double MIDI port is an error as the driver supports the FF 400 (with such ports) too.

The CPU bouncing seems to be a problem of the new MS FW driver (it's not the only one). Meanwhile I have been going back to the old legacy one as well, as there is still too much strange with the newer MS one.

The Sonar error will be checked.

AA...well, what can I say...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I uploaded version 3.014 without the second MIDI ports on the FF 800. Link see first post.

Sonar and AA problem not reproducible on our test machine.

Jan: das kan eigentlich nur passieren wenn Settings und TM im Autostart sind - da geh?ren sie aber nicht rein.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Installed driver 3.014. Install OK, play/record ok. Fireface 800 is not visible with DIGICheck 5.23. (ASIO Hammerfall DSP is the only option to select).

HP EliteBook 8730w, ASIO @ 48kHz, 96 buffer size, win XP

I also have the TM and settings dialogue opening on Windows startup.

I'm running Windows 7 x32

kasaudio wrote:

Installed driver 3.014. Install OK, play/record ok. Fireface 800 is not visible with DIGICheck 5.23. (ASIO Hammerfall DSP is the only option to select).

HP EliteBook 8730w, ASIO @ 48kHz, 96 buffer size, win XP

You need Digicheck 5.25..

Where is it possible to download it?

BTW 3.014 control panel form is a little to small -> Store/Read flash buttons are clipped. (win XP)

check link here with updated DigiCheck

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7866

regards S-EH

14 (edited by rwil 2010-04-22 15:35:27)

There's one thing that I will like to fully understand around the win7 audio panel is the "supported formats" (Properties) for any of the digital outs of the ff400. Since 3.012, formats are listed one a time and mirror the FF settings sample rate selected.
So here (under 3.013), when 44.1 & 96 selected, the checkbox is unchecked, but when 48 selected, the checkbox is checked.
What is the behavior/purpose of that checkbox, having his state checked or uncheked?

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

S-E Hansson wrote:

regards S-EH

Mr Hansson,
Is the the Digicheck v5.25 that MC refers to in that thread a beta, or is it "good to go"?

Ira

Hi,

It's needed for Fireface to show up in DigiCheck 5.2x
with the later FF drivers 3.xxx, if it's a beta I don't know MC will tell I think !

regards S-EH

IraSeigel wrote:
S-E Hansson wrote:

regards S-EH

Mr Hansson,
Is the the Digicheck v5.25 that MC refers to in that thread a beta, or is it "good to go"?

Ira

You can rename your original instead of overwtite, and use it and see. I'm using it, including Global record, without any problem so far.
rw

18 (edited by sam242 2010-04-22 21:53:55)

Hi MC,
thanx for quick upload of 3.014...(midi port fix)

about the windows 7 firewire driver,it seems that we still need to use the LEGACY driver for  proper working
fireface under windows 7.(hope it will be fixed soon)

One more thing i have noticed that i think its an error too:

In sound settings control panel windows 7 (playback or recording), if press on one of the output or input pairs -properties-advanced tab-"select sample rate and bit depth", there is 1 -16 bit choice and,2- 24 bit choices that are the same.

should it be this way?

regards
sam

My thoughts & feedback on the new settings dialogue.

- the simplified dialogue (I think this will really help newbies and less forum questions)
- the new constant error display

un-likes:
- the simplified dialogue (I feel nostalgic for all the tech detail gone!)

Suggestions:
Vertical order of first tab sections could be
- buffer size / bandwidth
- clock mode
- input status
- output format
- input source
(i.e. the most important things at the top)

Questions:
- does Autosync still function the same way (just with less visual feedback)?
- as MME has been dropped, I guess TMS, Syncalign, Interleaved  are no longer relevant

Thanks MC for continuing development of your products.

pot.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Yup the new constant error display in the setings dialog is great.
I have tried to get used to the new layout but still find it awkward having to tab between the pages to check on output level, 48v etc. Bring back the single settings page!

A small thing: the flash memory read and store buttons are clipped off in the bottom of my settings window.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

Thanks for all the feedback! Here are some comments/answers to your questions:

> installed driver,all looking good...(double icons in the taskbar from 3.012 fixed).
> I also have the TM and settings dialogue opening on Windows startup.

I think they are double-listed in the registry, so that Autorun happens twice (which will trigger the Window popup). We'll fix this.

> Is Digicheck v5.25 a beta

No. This is the release version with a few lines code added to detect the new Fireface driver.

> BTW 3.014 control panel form is a little to small -> Store/Read flash buttons are clipped. (win XP)

Can you please provide a screenshot?

> In sound settings control panel windows 7 (playback or recording), if press on one of the output or input pairs -properties-advanced tab-"select sample rate and bit depth", there is 1 -16 bit choice and,2- 24 bit choices that are the same.

No, they are not the same, and only one is working. MS just forgot to name them differently.

> There's one thing that I will like to fully understand around the win7 audio panel is the "supported formats" (Properties) for any of the digital outs of the ff400. Since 3.012, formats are listed one a time and mirror the FF settings sample rate selected. So here (under 3.013), when 44.1 & 96 selected, the checkbox is unchecked, but when 48 selected, the checkbox is checked. What is the behavior/purpose of that checkbox, having his state checked or uncheked?

The boxes are sometimes checked, sometimes not. We will have an eye on that one. But even if the box is unchecked it will work correctly, so don't worry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

23 (edited by Potscrubber 2010-09-27 20:53:59)

clipped buttons screenshot

pot.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

I am getting BSODs with 3.012 and 3.013 and 1.70rev. Haven't tried 3.014.

It says that portcls.sys is the problem, bla bla bla...

It happens differently:
- sometimes when I run my nuendo 4.3
- sometimes nuendo starts normally but BSOD comes when I load the project...

When I rolled back to 2.9992, blue screens are gone...

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com

Version 3.015 is now available for download:

Update, see below:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/win_fire_3016.zip

Important: Version 3.012/13/14 had changed names for the autorun command of Settings and mixer. This usually results in a double entry and therefore double call and therefore opening of the Settings and Mixer window on boot.

To fix this:

- Geeks: start reg edit, search for 'FirefaceTray'. You will find it in CurrentVersion\Run. In the right window delete FirefaceTray1 and FirefaceTray2.

- The safe way: go to Control Panel \ Programs (Software) \ Remove and click on RME Fireface before(!) you install version 3.015.

3.015 fixes (hopefully):

- Removed double 24 bit entry in WDM device properties

- Changed names in inf file (caused Settings and Mixer window to be opened)

- Changed Store/Read button position (problem under XP)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC,

here is a sound clip of the "motorboating" sound I get when going to Sonar's Audio Options & press OK:
www.avaruusankat.com/etc/Sonar853&ff800-3013.mp3
(First playback after project opened. Then motorboating sound after going to Audio Options.)

sonarmods.com

28 (edited by Byt3 2010-04-25 04:19:40)

It would be nice if there was an option for a SINGLE WINDOW with Full options,
So pros can have a quick single look & be done with it instead of all this Tabbing,
I have to say I hate it.

I agree.  Everything fitted perfectly well on one page.  Why make life harder by splitting the settings on to two?

panu wrote:

here is a sound clip of the "motorboating" sound I get when going to Sonar's Audio Options & press OK:
www.avaruusankat.com/etc/Sonar853&ff800-3013.mp3
(First playback after project opened. Then motorboating sound after going to Audio Options.)

A simple way for me to reproduce this "motorboating" is to use the scrub tool in Sonar 8.5.3 x64 using ASIO.  I can get a couple seconds of normal playback and then it goes motorboating.

Laurence Payne wrote:

I agree.  Everything fitted perfectly well on one page.  Why make life harder by splitting the settings on to two?

Beats me, We need to work with these things, RME PLEASE make our life easier not harder.

32 (edited by sam242 2010-04-25 20:15:51)

Hi MC

driver 3.015 installed.

all looking and working as it should here.
-Removed double 24 bit entry in WDM device properties- fix confirmed

ill report in if any other findings during work.

regards
sam

Byt3 wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

Beats me, We need to work with these things, RME PLEASE make our life easier not harder.

Oh come on.  The simplification of settings will obviously be an improvement for newbies.  Making your life harder.... please....

pot.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

Potscrubber wrote:
Byt3 wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

Oh come on.  The simplification of settings will obviously be an improvement for newbies.  Making your life harder.... please....

pot.

Splitting them across two pages isn't simpler, when there's plenty of space on one.  A small point, but valid I think.

35 (edited by Byt3 2010-04-26 01:40:11)

Potscrubber wrote:
Byt3 wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

pot.

That is exactly the right term - HARDER.
With the number of times I have a glance & change settings in windows 7 a day, this is more than annoying.
Not my fault if your usage is a basic set it & forget it, & I definitely did not ask your opinion on my gripes with the new layout, try & keep them to yourself.

Help newbies ?? obviously you do not know much about it do you,
I have been giving professional support for years , & hidden conflicting settings in Guis are usually the solutions 50% of the time.

If you READ what I said, I SAID in BOLD
"It would be nice if there was an option for a SINGLE WINDOW with Full options "

I repeat - I would like the OPTION to have a SINGLE screen, with everything on it.

Some people might scratch there head about your comments. For Fireface 400 users the only thing we moved from the front to the second page is the analog I/O levels. Hardly a problem that will need professional support or is 'hidden'. There has not been a single page before, the second page has (had) the faders for the four input gains.

So only the FF 800 users now get a second page for the analog settings, which IMHO are seldomly changed and therefore should be no problem to be there.

The new dialog is MUCH more easy to read, even for a long-time user that just wants to have a 'one glance overview'. Try to use it one week, then have a look at the old one again. You will notice how cluttered and confusing it was.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

37 (edited by Byt3 2010-04-26 03:51:07)

I have been doing my years of head scratching with users with & without RME issues, much more than some people over my comments,
so please let me do my own math ... thank you.

You did note the word OPTION, surely that would not be too much to ask.

3.015 has been working with my i7  + Win7 64 bit + 2 x FF800 + Sonar 8.5.3 MUCH better than 2.992. Very promising.

However, sometimes Sonar still loses connection with ASIO driver (when playback is started, Sonar hangs completely for half minute, then playback starts but with no sound and it's not possible to stop playback. Only way to stop it is to turn power off from Firefaces.)

I have no clue if this is Sonar, RME driver or 64 bit Windows 7 related thing but this happened never in 32 bit XP + Sonar 8.5.3. Maybe it's the Microsoft's Firewire driver to blame but I hope RME solves problems with it.

sonarmods.com

I'm having what looks like the same issue as panu. I've had this problem with 2.992 and 3.013.

3.015/2.77 on a Lenovo T400 Laptop
Win7 64 bit
FF800
Max/MSP 5.1.3
Connected via FF400 through an ExpressCard interface with at TI chipset

Max regularly looses its connection with my device. When this happens both the OS and the application can see the device (and the host light stays off), but neither can use it to make sound. I can still change settings on the device. I can only get audio back disconnecting and reconnecting the device (I power cycling either the device or the machine).

Driver seems as good as the last on Windows 7 64bit.  Still crappy latency of 256 samples.  Ableton live fails to open the hardware control panel aswell.  Often leads to crashing of application.  I like the new interface however, things are a little easier to interpret.

panu wrote:

3.015 has been working with my i7  + Win7 64 bit + 2 x FF800 + Sonar 8.5.3 MUCH better than 2.992. Very promising.

However, sometimes Sonar still loses connection with ASIO driver (when playback is started, Sonar hangs completely for half minute, then playback starts but with no sound and it's not possible to stop playback. Only way to stop it is to turn power off from Firefaces.)

You might have just configured the unit or overlooked it is set as system sound device as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

42 (edited by panu 2010-04-27 18:19:17)

You might have just configured the unit or overlooked it is set as system sound device as well.

All RME devices are disabled in Control Panel / Sounds / Playback & Recording.
But what is "Internal AUX Jack"?

http://www.avaruusankat.com/etc/ff800-3015-internal_aux_jack.JPG

sonarmods.com

Is is OK to set different Buffer Size for each Fireface unit? Does it cause sync problems for the DAW?

sonarmods.com

Bug ?  It seems I can't get the settings to remember the front or rear status of input 1, unless I also change some other parameter (like 7/8 or speaker emulation for instance).

pot.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

What does the 'Errors: [count]' really tell in Fireface Settings top right corner?
Playback in Sonar got badly disturbed and Errors count increased from 0 to 1.

sonarmods.com

panu wrote:

Did you disable those devices? Usually it is enough to make sure they are not assigned as Default device.

panu wrote:

Is is OK to set different Buffer Size for each Fireface unit?

How to do that?

panu wrote:

What does the 'Errors: [count]' really tell in Fireface Settings top right corner?

It tells you that there is a FireWire problem on your machine that no audio interface driver could ever resolve.

Postscrubber wrote:

Bug ?  It seems I can't get the settings to remember the front or rear status of input 1, unless I also change some other parameter (like 7/8 or speaker emulation for instance).

Will be checked.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Also, on my setup (winxp sp3) settings screen does not remember last position. It always jumps to top left corner of primary screen. This is for ages. I reported that few years ago...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2402

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com

panu wrote:

I don't suppose I'm the only user who has only the Fireface installed, no other audio interface, and who occasionally needs to play media direct from the Desktop using the standard Windows utilities.   What should be enabled?

Everything. To make it work for the Windows system you still have to define one device as system playback device (usually 'Loudspeaker').

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

50 (edited by panu 2010-04-30 01:27:14)

panu wrote:

Is is OK to set different Buffer Size for each Fireface unit?

MC wrote:

How to do that?

I can set different values for each unit just by selecting values in the pulldown menu.

sonarmods.com