51 (edited by panu 2010-04-30 01:27:42)

Re: Release candidate of the Windows driver 3.x (3.013) now available:

panu wrote:

All RME devices are disabled in Control Panel / Sounds / Playback & Recording

MC wrote:

Did you disable those devices? Usually it is enough to make sure they are not assigned as Default device.

Windows has now no playback/recording devices enabled. Outside DAW I use only Winamp with ASIO Output Plugin to play media. I works well enough - sometimes it cracks and pops but restarting playback or changing buffer size usually cures problems.

sonarmods.com

Different ASIO Buffersizes: That should not be possible. Will be fixed. Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

53 (edited by Byt3 2010-05-03 04:19:54)

Can someone tell me where exactly is the interleaved option on this new control panel ?

And Why does the Master Solo Button not respond to my b_solo.bmp ?

@Matthias where is this option please

MC wrote:

The CPU bouncing seems to be a problem of the new MS FW driver (it's not the only one). Meanwhile I have been going back to the old legacy one as well, as there is still too much strange with the newer MS one.

Is there a way to reproduce this on a Dual/2 Core CPU?

I just downloaded a Windows 7 Firewire Hotfix that replaces the 1394ohc.sys file (original version .16385/04-14-2009 is replaced by .16440/15-10-2009). This fix is supposed to fix slow transfer rates of Firewire harddrives on computer with at least 4 gb RAM, but maybe it also affects other issues?!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … -US;975500

No change on my Dell.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Byt3 wrote:

Can someone tell me where exactly is the interleaved option on this new control panel ?

That option is no longer needed, as you configure that in the Speaker setup dialog.

The Master Solo Button: what exactly is wrong there?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You guys could try this 1394 hotfix, it's much newer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981613

59 (edited by Byt3 2010-05-05 04:45:18)

MC wrote:
Byt3 wrote:

That option is no longer needed, as you configure that in the Speaker setup dialog.

The Master Solo Button: what exactly is wrong there?

I was very worried youd say that, but convinced myself into thinking it cannot be.
Matthias, that is simply no good.

This means every user with XP system/s on the planet will have to reconfigure the speaker setup in control panel every time it needs a change.
Also you are assuming XP users are using it as the Default Audio Device.

If the Fireface is not the default audio device, youll have to the the following:
Setup as default
Reconfigure Fireface
Setup other device as default.

I understand that there is no workaround for windows 7 (For now, I hope RME will be the one to find one, in a way that there will be an option that the device can automatically reconfigure itself when presented with interleaved audio ).

but for XP systems this is one more totally unnecessary hoop to jump through & a pita.

BTW:One more thing I am trying to understand: I have been installing old drivers on Firerefaces.
I am doing my best to try & test the new drivers, but I cannot get what is going on in development.

When set to SLAVE via spdif etc, the firefaces w old drivers were really slaved, ie, played in the wrong pitch if audio was played through any of Firefaces soft outputs.
Now in this driver, this is not the case.
The driver shows the Slaved sample rate, but playback is in the correct pitch, ie resampling does occur.

Even worse' when set to INTERNAL, the Fireface will not automatically switch sample rates when playing on XP when using WDM through AN1+2,
it just listens to the Internal Sample Rate Setting.

So there goes the Best XP RME Feature straight out the window !
This effectively makes the Fireface an inferior version of of the Windows 7 driver, with subpar WDM resampling ..

Does this driver behave like that by design ?:-O

Yes, everything by design. The basic guideline would be something like 'with WDM we follow whatever shit they celebrate in Redmond', and if you don't want this use ASIO. Sorry.

Regarding XP (but also true in 7): it should be possible to have multichannel (interleaved) playback via the ADAT channels 1/2. Please try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Experiences during last week: 

- Adobe Audition 3: when playback is started in editor, audio stutters half second but after that sound comes out right.
- Winamp with ASIO plugin: usually works fine but sometimes crackles. Changing buffer size (to any direction) usually helps. Power off/on FF800 helps, too.
- Sonar 8.5.3: almost perfect. Sometimes Sonar hangs for a long time when trying to start playback and after that no sound comes out (same behavior than I explained earlier). This happened never in XP32/SP3 + Sonar 32bit.
- Sometimes playback won't start with any program (that uses ASIO - I haven't tried Windows Sounds). I must restart computer to get FF800 online.
- Rarely: Sonar "loses connection with audio interface driver". Closing and opening Sonar again helps.

Practically every problem I've described has happened only after I went from XP32 to W7 64 bit in January. RME drivers worked absolutely great in my old XP system.  All issues in my system began after going to W7.

-Panu

---
2 x FF800, W7 64 bit, Sonar 32 bit, newest RME drivers

PC:
Intel Core i7 950 3,06GHz          
Asus P6T LGA1366    
OCZ Gold Low Voltage Triple Channel 6GB         
Asus EAH5750                     
Sunix Firewire 400/800 2 x Beta, 2 x 6-p

sonarmods.com

62 (edited by panu 2010-05-07 00:39:05)

Addition to my last post:
"Sometimes playback won't start with any program (that uses ASIO - I haven't tried Windows Sounds). I must restart computer to get FF800 online."

Boot is not necessary if I do the following steps: 

- turn off both Fireface 800 units
- turn on unit 1
- play something (now sound comes out)
- turn on unit 2

Now playback works with both units on.
This does not work:

- turn off both units
- turn on both units
- play

-Panu

EDIT: After this I installed the newer MS 1394 hotfix.

sonarmods.com

Dr Tone wrote:

My 64-bit W7 works better with RME driver after this patch.
Recommended!

-Panu

sonarmods.com

panu wrote:
Dr Tone wrote:

My 64-bit W7 works better with RME driver after this patch.
Recommended!

-Panu

Well yes, for those having problems it worth to try out, otherwise could be better to wait the service pack.

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

65 (edited by Potscrubber 2010-05-07 00:46:27)

Hi Mathius, question to autosync.

I have FF800 with TCO.  If I have the clock source set to say Adat1, (but nothing connected to Adat1), the clock source "travels" down the list and arrives at the TCO (which is before internal). 

Today the TCO (which is not connected to anything) is feeling at 46000Hz. 

So if I have accidentially left my clock source at Adat1, and not using a host that sets the sample rate, my audio is out of pitch. 

Has anything about the new design changed, to allow this behavior?  I can't remember if it was thus on 2.xxxx.  But maybe it was?

Maybe the TCO should be top of the list?  for all the unconnected TCO's of the world.... ?

thanks
pot.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

panu: didi you ever try to do all your audio tests with only one Fireface 800? I have the impression that using 2 units at the same time might cause all these problems.

Postscrubber: if you have nothing connected you should set the card to Master mode. No matter which order it will give problems for someone out there if in AutoSync and running free. The driver behaviour is unchanged, the TCO just sends out its last valid clock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

panu: didi you ever try to do all your audio tests with only one Fireface 800? I have the impression that using 2 units at the same time might cause all these problems

Sorry, I haven't made thorough one unit test. If there have been problems with two units, I have usually switched off the second unit or rebooted Windows.
Now I have installed the 1394 driver hotfix. New report is coming soon. I'll keep on eye if one unit works better.

sonarmods.com

MC wrote:

The basic guideline would be something like 'with WDM we follow whatever shit they celebrate in Redmond'.

As a Microsoft employee I take exception to this type of language. Kindly refrain from using the word "Redmond" wink

69 (edited by Byt3 2010-05-08 03:47:24)

MC wrote:

Yes, everything by design. The basic guideline would be something like 'with WDM we follow whatever shit they celebrate in Redmond', and if you don't want this use ASIO. Sorry.

Regarding XP (but also true in 7): it should be possible to have multichannel (interleaved) playback via the ADAT channels 1/2. Please try.

Matthias, this does not address the problems I brought up one bit, I did ALL THESE TESTS ON XP.
These specific issues have nothing to do with Redmond & everything to do with RME.

They are valid issues.
Please let me know if my reports will be considered for future updates,
or Am I wasting my life trying to help point out the issues so we all can have functionality & flexibility we once had.

Testing these issues & reporting them is very time consuming & I'd hate to think no matter what eventually everything just gets ignored.

1. Interleaved should be back as an option instead of forcing XP users as well to reconfigure the speaker setup.
2. When set to SLAVE via spdif etc, the firefaces should be truly SLAVED as with old drivers , (with wrong pitch & all),
3. the Fireface Settings should have an option when set to INTERNAL, that the Fireface will automatically switch sample rates when playing on XP when using WDM through AN1+2, or ANY other output for that matter, like it used to work.

There is no reason for the above three problems to occur on XP.

dadgad251 wrote:

As a Microsoft employee I take exception to this type of language. Kindly refrain from using the word "Redmond" wink

Of course such statements are just a public show for the masses to be kept under control. We would never think or say something negative about Redmont.

Where the hell is that by the way? HeadScratch :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Of course such statements are just a public show for the masses to be kept under control. We would never think or say something negative about Redmont.

Where the hell is that by the way? HeadScratch :-)

It's just down the road from Mackie.:-)

Ira

panu wrote:

I use mainly Sonar PE 8.5.3 (32 bit) in ASIO mode. This version works much better than the previous one but I have one issue that I could already reproduce:

- Open Sonar
- Open project
- Start playback.  => Works OK.
- Go to Audio Options
- Do nothing but press [OK].
- Start playback.  => Now sound is stuttering (like slow motorboating) and nothing but Close Sonar & Turn off/on Fireface 800 will heal

I tested this again today with 3.015 and I was able to reproduce this twice with two FF800 units in operation. However, this did not occur every time. (5 tests, 2 failures.)
I could not reproduce this with one unit only (5 tests, all OK). 

Buffer Size used: 256.

sonarmods.com

73 (edited by panu 2010-05-10 03:45:40)

Fireface Settings issue

Unit 2 settings at Analog (2) tab change mysterically: I've stored Line In and Line Out levels as +4 dBu but after few hours of use (few power off/on's because of playback problems in Sonar) I checked Fireface settings and found that second unit's levels were changed:

- Line In: Lo Gain and
- Line Out: -10 dBV.

-Panu

sonarmods.com

Hi Mathius

I am having "uninvited" what could be direct monitoring "guests" under certain monitor settings in Samplitude. Hard to eliminate one or the other as they are both "all" I've got.  Has anything changed in the direct monitoring code for 3.x? Or should I concentrate on finding the problem in Samp ?

thanks
pot.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

ADM has not changed in 3.x.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Mathius. Confirmed as a quirk in samplitude (routing inputs to the master buss, which is hidden in vip by default, and switching them on in a monitor all inputs action).  Dang!

pot.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

77 (edited by Byt3 2010-06-10 02:51:53)

I am giving a reminder here, to please not ignore the XP problems I have mentioned the driver to solve the XP problems earlier,
Here & Here

Hi, sorry to bother.  I currently have big problems with FF800 on Windows7 laptop. Is this RC a long time from being finished? Thanks

flowdesigner wrote:

Hi, sorry to bother.  I currently have big problems with FF800 on Windows7 laptop. Is this RC a long time from being finished? Thanks

What are the problems?  What does DPC latency checker show?  If you've got latency spikes, I fear a new driver isn't going to make any difference.

Was your laptop designed for Windows 7, or did you install it as an upgrade?  The new power management in W7 seems to be doing horrible things to some laptops which weren't designed for it :-(

Hi,

I currently have XP x64 and  with the drivers 2.9992 when I read a movie with the samplerate PWDVD 10 in the setup of my ff400 corresponds to the film. So if I read a file 96/24, in the setup ff400 there are 96kHz too and this is done automatically.
When charging the RC, I have not the same correspondence between the frequencies. In the setup of ff400, the rest samplerate to 44100 Hz

Does I have something to do?

81 (edited by studioton 2010-06-26 09:51:58)

is it the version 3015 last official or beta version? becouse the version 2.9992 is still available for download as last one? thx

www.studioton.net

The next update (3.016 or so) will be available in a few days and then be the official Windows 7 driver. 2.9992 will be available in the driver archive.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

gufau wrote:

Hi,

I currently have XP x64 and  with the drivers 2.9992 when I read a movie with the samplerate PWDVD 10 in the setup of my ff400 corresponds to the film. So if I read a file 96/24, in the setup ff400 there are 96kHz too and this is done automatically.
When charging the RC, I have not the same correspondence between the frequencies. In the setup of ff400, the rest samplerate to 44100 Hz

Does I have something to do?

This happens because these drivers are plain useless for XP.

I have reported it in length here ,read Here & Here,
better hope RME appreciates the reports & listens.

Hello,

Yes, Byt3, I saw your post dedicated to XP.
I have since installed a configuration with x64 and Seven ... that's the same thing!

85 (edited by Byt3 2010-06-27 00:08:53)

Sorry to hear you had to go through all this to find out, if you would have asked me, I would have spared you the work.
Fact is, the situation is a nightmare, cannot believe we are even discussing sample rate locks & resampling in 2010 on no less than RME hardare.

In windows 7,  the driver goes with windows 7 samplerate lock, as it installs like every multi channel "speakers" device,
as I have already reported, obviously for your purposes, it is even more useless than it is on XP.

In the past, you could have used the "MME" option for 2 channel, that would at least save you for 2 channels.
Now that RME removed it without warning, you pretty much ran out of luck.

Right now your only option with a Fireface is to do the following:
-Use XP
-Use Driver 2.XXX
-Make a request to RME , that the new drivers will be fixed & restore previous correct behavior, even if only for XP for now, hopefully a workaround will be found for Windows 7 as well.

Version 3.016 is now available:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/win_fire_3016.zip

Fixes:

- the FF 800 did not show all I/Os under WDM

- using multiple FFs the latency and sample rate setting was not synchronized in the Settings dialog

- the front/rear setting for input 1 did not become active immediately

- In clock mode slave a warning for wrong input clock is now displayed

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the update. However, same stuttering and hanging problems exists with Sonar as before when I use two units :-/.

sonarmods.com

"In clock mode slave a warning for wrong input clock is now displayed"

-Matthias, What do you mean by "wrong input clock" ?
-Also, are any of the issues I mentioned above fixed ?

You do set the card to a specific WDM sample rate via the dialog, have it work as slave at the same rate, and now change the input clock to something different (48 instead of 44 or similar). The WDM sample rate will and can not follow (would require a complete system reconfiguration), so a warning in red is displayed about the mismatch.

This behaviour might change when MS has the 'sample rate change on the fly' finally working, but at this time it does not.

No other changes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

90 (edited by TAFKAT 2010-07-06 07:42:43)

Hey Matthias,

Just a quick heads up that the new 3.016 driver is now working as well @ 048 samples under the Native TI driver as I had previously only managed with the legacy.

Good stuff.. :-)

Vin Curigliano
AAVIM Technology.

Vin Curgiliano
AAVIM Technology
DAWbench.com

On my XP system Digicheck stopped working after installing 3.016 driver. There is no entry for Fireface under 'Input device setup' - instead there is a new entry 'ASIO Hammerfall DSP' which I don't have. Everything else seems to work fine so far.

fripholm wrote:

On my XP system Digicheck stopped working after installing 3.016 driver. There is no entry for Fireface under 'Input device setup' - instead there is a new entry 'ASIO Hammerfall DSP' which I don't have. Everything else seems to work fine so far.

Read and download here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7866

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

Thanks. That did the trick.

94 (edited by CanOniX 2010-07-11 14:07:35)

Hi! I have some similar problems with my Win 7 x 64 system and FF 400 .
When i was workin with XP and 295 drivers i have not any troubles with my FF. But now, after migrating to Win 7 (i really need to stay on Win 7, because app dependency) i have repeated glitches and pops and then no sound in Cubase 5.1.2, only system reboot solves the problem. I was trying to use maximum buffer size, it helps sometimes.... guys, do something, please! HeadScratch

My system:

Core 2 Duo E 8600
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Integrated LSI FW controller
4 Gb PC 800 RAM
FF 400 (drivers 3.016, 1.7 firmware)
Windows 7 x 64 Ultimate (all newest updates)
Cubase 5.1.2

Hi

I have just purchased a fireface 800. I am using windows 7 32 bit and have installed the latest 3.016 driver and 2.77 firmware.

For music playback via asio, I am having some problems with a clock of 96kHz.

After about 1 minute of playback at 96kHz, the fireface loses the firewire connection, the mixer freezes and when I try to restart I get a BSOD with stop 0x9F error.

Playback works fine at 48khz.

The firewire interface on my motherboard is a VIA VT6315N and the VIA driver is installed.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Hi,

Under  "Fireface Settings", "about"-tab you can see only the Hardware Revision of the first Fireface.
If you use 2 or more, you can't see the revision of those. Maby it's possible to fix this.

I have a not reproducible mistake under 3.016 and XP SP3 (2 times in 2 days). Some values like "Level - Line Out" (from +4 to -10) or pitch (0 to -5) have changed oneself without mouse klicking.

Maybe there are some other users with the same problem ?

Bobafett wrote:

I have a not reproducible mistake under 3.016 and XP SP3 (2 times in 2 days). Some values like "Level - Line Out" (from +4 to -10) or pitch (0 to -5) have changed oneself without mouse klicking.

Maybe there are some other users with the same problem ?

I found this behavior in 3.015 & W7 64-bit, too.
I am 100% sure that I do not touch I/O levels but sometimes they get changed.

-Panu

sonarmods.com

Thanks for the info Panu. I want to specify my setup.

I use a Fireface 400 (first device V 1.70) and a Fireface 800 (second device V 2.77) together.
Sequenzer Software is Cubase 5.5 on a Intel Quad Core Sytem Q9550 under XP SP3.

Added to the problems above the Firefaces produce sometimes glitches.
But till now i can't see a rule. Sometimes it glitches by 64 samples sometimes by 1024.
On other time i have no glitches.

It doesn't seem to be a latancy problem.
It sounds a little bit other, DPCTool found no latency problem, Cubase doesn't show latancy peak errors and before
updating i doesn't have real latancy problems.

I only updated the firefaces to new firmware and XP to new drivers, because i use the FF400 sometimes on a laptop with win7.

Alex

99 (edited by Potscrubber 2010-07-15 09:36:59)

Hi MC

Just want to say that the behavior with sleep and hibernate states on my notebook with 3.xx has been really exemplary on my system.  FF always comes back on straight away no matter what state the notebook is coming out of. Never had to reboot pc or cycle FF.

Still wish there was a "perfect" solution for the Autosync. I find that when I have been clocked to adat etc, and which may be no longer be present, FF defaults to last known rate of TCO (which may be a different rate). Yes it's a user thing and one should be all over such matters and anticipate it.  But sometimes we forget... would be nice if TCO is no longer receiving signal, Autosync drops right through to Internal. Who knows if it's possible in the hardware.

regards
pot.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

MC wrote:

Version 3.016 is now available:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/win_fire_3016.zip

Fixes:
- using multiple FFs the latency and sample rate setting was not synchronized in the Settings dialog

Hi MC,

Still not working all the time...
This is how I managed to get different buffer sizes for two units:

- switch off 2nd unit that was connected to different FW card than the 1st unit
- update its legacy driver to the new one
- turn on 2nd unit

Now the 2nd unit's latency was set to 96 (which was the value I tried earlier today) instead of 256.

However, after changing latency value manually it began to sync with the first unit automatically. In previous version this did not happen.

-Panu

sonarmods.com