1 (edited by MoonMix 2010-04-22 22:15:08)

Topic: OctaMic II > Lynx AES16 > SONAR...hook-up/signal problem

hello...

I'm attempting to record 8 digital channels into my PC's DAW (SONAR) using my RME OctaMic II...& my Lynx Aurora 8 / AES 16...

[The Aurora 8 is connected to Port A of the AES 16...handling 8 analog inputs (from various preamps) & the analog outs, for monitoring]...& the OctaMic II is connected to Port B of the AES 16...digitally (AES)...for my 8 digital recording channels.  Since the RME sports a TASCAM PinOut...& the AES 16 supports a Yamaha PinOut...on the back of the RME (at the 25 D-Sub) I've connected 25-Pin AVLA TASCAM to Yamaha adapter.

What I have in SONAR is an errant stereo signal (where I don't want it...only getting stereo input activity on 7 & 8...for some odd reason)...& no mono signal where I do want it...(Track 1 = Lynx ASIO Left 5, Track 2 = Lynx ASIO Right 5, etc., etc.)

Lynx thinks it's a cabling problem...as do I...& AVLA mfg.'s two different adapters in this case...an FCTY-AES & an FCYT-AES.  [I have the former...perhaps I need the later...???]

So...Questions:

1) anybody familiar w/ a hook-up similar to this...(& able to offer advice or solution)...???

2) using the OctaMic's AES output...(whereby I'm utilizing the converters in the unit & outputting digital to an AES type PCI Interface...the AES 16)...where should my Mode Pins be set (for the 6 positions)...???

3) Do I need Word Clock...???

thanks,

MoonMix
ADK Pro Audio Core 2 | Intel DP35DP MoBo/Chipset | Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU | 4 GB SuperTalent DDR2-800 CL5 RAM | Seagate 160 GB SATA II Primary HD | Western Digital 320 GB SATA II Audio HD | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | RME OctaMic II | Universal Audio UAD-1 | SONAR PE 7.0.2 | Cubase LE | WaveLab 5.0.1b | NI Komplete5

UPDATE:

not-so-good news on the adapter front:

on the the FCTY-AES...the adapter I'm using...the TY stands for TASCAM > Yamaha...whereby the TASCAM side is Male & the Yamaha side is Female.

this means that I'm using the correct adapter (TASCAM being on the RME side & Yamaha being on the Lynx side).

this also means the problem's origins lie somewhere else...somewhere in my RME's output settings.

man o man, oy vey,

MM

Re: OctaMic II > Lynx AES16 > SONAR...hook-up/signal problem

Could be a mislabeled adapter, I have seen a couple of these. If you connect the Lynx unit to the cable currently connected to the Octamic, does it work as expected?

For the DIP switches, should be 1-Up, 2-Down, 3-NA, 4-Down, 5-Down, 6-Up - this will sync the unit to AES input so you don't need Word Clock.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

jeff...

thanks for your prompt response...(been outta' town for a couple...sorry I'm just now getting back to the thread):

Could be a mislabeled adapter, I have seen a couple of these

not a bad thought...damn thing cost me 50 bucks, tho.  how can I tell...???

If you connect the Lynx unit to the cable currently connected to the Octamic, does it work as expected?

there are no other cables connected to the unit...the TASCAM side of the adapter goes right into the OctaMic's AES port...& the cable coming off the Lynx AES16 ( http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=42 ) connects to the Yamaha side of the same adapter.

[unless you meant as connected to other gear so as to tell if the cable is working properly...which it is]

also...thanks for the tip on the DIP's...wonder if that could be the cause...(I had only #2 down; & the rest up)

thanks again,

MM

4 (edited by MoonMix 2010-04-28 20:12:37)

UPDATE:

Turned out to be the adapter (ALVA FCTY-AES)...only by process-of-elimination...

...because...

...I hooked the lynx 1605 cable DIRECTLY to the OctaMic II (now w/ the DIP Switches in the correct, AES Sync positions)...& I had audio on both 5 & 6 (which makes sense when one looks at the TASCAM / Yamaha pinout differences???).

[hope the above action wasn't a risky one...but I really wanted to troubleshoot that adapter...&...I'm older now; & half nutts anyway]

using the avla adapter w/ the new dip positions produced the same problem as noted above (activity on 7, nothing else)

off to AVLA for a return auth # (I hate that nonsense)

thanks
for all the help; & will post results upon receiving a replacement adapter...

mm