Topic: Possible to host FFUC/Babyface on Atom netbooks?

It would seem that a reasonable netbook (say HP Mini 5102 with a 6-cell battery) should be able to support it, running either XP or W7.  Anyone tried this?  Because the FFUC does not use bus power, there should be no power issues

Even more so, has anyone in RME tested Babyface on such a device?  Especially with the Toslink ports set for SPDIF (and therefore supporting only 4+4 channels) the CPU load should be very light (compared to say running an external DVD on USB).  However, I doubt  that, even with the twin USB cable to meet Babyface power requirements, the laptop battery (66W) might be up to the task (maybe for broadcasts under one hour or so).

Where I am heading is to run FFUC (or more likely Babyface) on the above (or similar) netbook as the audio interface to enable Audio-over-IP using a program like Luci (luci.eu) to undertake remote broadcasting using internet or mobile broadband (we have a very good network here!).

Broadcasters?  Anyone?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Re: Possible to host FFUC/Babyface on Atom netbooks?

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fir … _pclaptops

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The FF UC works reasonably well with my Dell Netbook. If you run it off mains, it should also be able to power a Babyface, although I haven't tried.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

The FF UC works reasonably well with my Dell Netbook. If you run it off mains, it should also be able to power a Babyface, although I haven't tried.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the feedback, which is encouraging.  The paradigm for this outfit is go-anywhere, so the interface will be run from a Li-Ion battery pack (as previously done with FF400), and have mobile internet available. 

The model I am looking at has 2GB memory and comes with W7 Professional, for which there are currently no examples on the 'compatibility list'.   But I will assume for the moment 'yes, with limited performance'.

Hopefully, more experience from other users, especially when Babyface gets closer to pre-production. :-?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum