Topic: Using an outboard compressor on vox whilst recording

Ok, first post. Trying to get to grips with a few things.

I've read the manual thoroughly but what I require is a step-by-step guide as to how i can route an external FMR RNC compressor , so as to use it whilst recording vox.

To achieve this -   Mic-FF400 mic pre- RNC FMR - Computer .

It is boggling my head a bit.

Any help would be hugely appreciated .

Thanks!

Re: Using an outboard compressor on vox whilst recording

you have to use the RME Mixer to route your Mic out to the RNC and back

send the FF400 Mic pre signal to any of the FF400 outs ... send that same out to the RNC ... then ... the RNC out to any FF400 In ...
record via the FF400 input you have assign to the RNC out

for example: FF400 Mic pre to out 3 - FF400 out 3 to RNC In 1/L - RNC Out 1/L to FF400 In 3 - record from FF400 in 3

you also have to switch FF400 In/Outs to -10 dBV ... since the RNC doesn't work with +4 (use unbalanced cables)

greetz wink

nlinear wrote:

you have to use the RME Mixer to route your Mic out to the RNC and back

send the FF400 Mic pre signal to any of the FF400 outs ... send that same out to the RNC ... then ... the RNC out to any FF400 In ...
record via the FF400 input you have assign to the RNC out

for example: FF400 Mic pre to out 3 - FF400 out 3 to RNC In 1/L - RNC Out 1/L to FF400 In 3 - record from FF400 in 3

you also have to switch FF400 In/Outs to -10 dBV ... since the RNC doesn't work with +4 (use unbalanced cables)

greetz wink

nice one . The problem I've got is doing the actual routing in totalmix. Ive had a look at the manual , but it isn't really penetrating my chunky cranium .

As it stands I have - ff400 out 3 - FMR RNC - FF400 in 5 .................

just can work out how to route channel 1 on the ff400 to out-3 in totalmix.

"As it stands I have - ff400 out 3 - FMR RNC - FF400 in 5 .................
just can work out how to route channel 1 on the ff400 to out-3 in totalmix."

Select Out 3&4 on the output row of the RME Mixer ... raise the volume fader of input 1 ... you'll have Input 1 signal going out thru Out 3&4

check Submix section on the manual

5 (edited by 3dsmatt 2010-04-23 21:51:11)

nlinear wrote:

"As it stands I have - ff400 out 3 - FMR RNC - FF400 in 5 .................
just can work out how to route channel 1 on the ff400 to out-3 in totalmix."

Select Out 3&4 on the output row of the RME Mixer ... raise the volume fader of input 1 ... you'll have Input 1 signal going out thru Out 3&4

check Submix section on the manual

Muito obrigada. Ok , ive done those things, and Im getting the mic on 'input 5' now on logic. Thing is , I am also getting the mic on input 1,2,3,4,5,6 ............. and the signal doesn't appear to be going through the FMR RNC.

Ive read the submix section loads as well , and it is a bit vague for someone like me who hasnt used this interface or software before.

de nada wink

feel free to email me about this ... I'll send you some picts on how to configure the RME Mixer and Matrix.

you use the phones out (7&8) for monitoring or out 1&2? you want to listen to the Mic thru Logic or "before" Logic (thru the RME Mixer to avoid latency)?

I use FF800 and Logic 9 ... so the RME Mixer/Matrix picts will look a bit different

greetz