Topic: Digiface+multiface 2 Deep Latency: Why?

good morning,
i come from an experience in use with hdsp9652 that i?ve used interfaced to an adi2 and an adi8.
recently i've decided to change my setup taking informations from rme italian importer to chose a new setup compatible with 9652 that could permit me a fixed and a mobile solution of work.
i've bought a multiface 2 with hdsp pciexp and then a digiface with hdsp pci.
now i've cabled my analog mixer to have 16 out coming from multiface 2 + nuendo 2496 (adi8) to have 16 chan to summ in two channel to lead to the adi2.
yesterday the test.
immediately i've note a deep latency of the converters linked on digiface.
all is sync; the digiface is set as master the multi as slave.
i've also try to change firewire connections of respective interfaces from hdsp pci to hdsp pciexp but the more latency of the digiface continues to exist.
there is something of wrong somwhere or that i do?
ps. i have order just one month ago a hdspexp cardbuss. i'm expect to receive it. ...what to do?
lcala

Re: Digiface+multiface 2 Deep Latency: Why?

Define deep latency, please.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good evening MC,
Sincerly I don't know how to measure it.
If you can teach me.
Meanwhile i suppose 1/2  or 3/4 of a second.
The first eight channel are like delayed of 1/2  or 3/4 of a sec than the other eight channel.
Now I've download all the update firmware for PCI and PCIex and the last wdm driver.
I have thought to make these operations:
1) to unistall one board at a time;
2) update the firmware one at a time.
3) try to install the boards in two consecutive PCI and PCI exp buss (now are not in a consecutive position);
4) Install the new drivers.
Than I'll make a new test.
If you can suggest me something else.
Only today I've read about an yours old post about hdsp express card with problems. I'hope It couldn't be.
I'll take sn in the boards and I'll compare it with the sn you have indicated.
regards
LCala

Seems more like you forgot to sync both cards so they don't drift apart. Or you are not using ASIO and thus get strange effects.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good morning MC,
With all the procedure described in my previous post and the following specifications I've solved the latency between the two sistems.

Specifications of the onnections:

Digiface (master) on PCI ex
1.spdif -----------spdif ADI2 (Sync)
2.adat1/adat2 -----------adat main/ext ADI8 (Sync)
3.adat3----------adat Multiface2 (slave) on PCI (Sync)

Now at the listening the sistem works in sync (if being able to measure it might be more sure and rigorous).

PS: I've upgradeed the PCI ex to 02/09/2010 fut_wdm_dspe
and the software driver at 3.083 hdspw hdsp_wdm_3083 driver

With the current system I have another problem.
I have yet to understand in which specific occasion occurs. I think at a passage from a file recorded at 96 khz to 32 bit to a files recorded at 44 bits Khz32.
The result is a total absence of audio on all Nuendo / TotalMix channels and consequently on all analog out of the converters. On this occasion I am forced to reboot the XP sistem.
Probably with the new updates the problem will not occur again.
If it will occour I?ll tell it into the forum with the precise description of the event.
Regards LCala