Topic: RE: Hot Plugging

Just being cautious so after some clarification. Bus-powered devices need to be (dis)connected while both the peripheral device and host are not operating. However bus-power means I can run my FF400 via my iMac while the computer is shut down. In this case, does the power selector on the FF, while in the EXT. position negate 'hot-plugging' when inserting/removing the FW cable?

Thanks in advance

Re: RE: Hot Plugging

Found this from M-Audo..

We strongly encourage you to protect your equipment by refraining from hot-plugging any bus-powered FireWire device, including the M-Audio family of FireWire products. Connect your FireWire device while both the computer and FireWire device are powered off. Power on the FireWire device, then turn the computer on last. If you are using bus power (systems with IEEE1394 6-pin connectors) make sure you make the cable connection first, then turn the FireWire device power switch on, and turn the computer system on last.

...More or less answers my query.

As I understand it, Desktop Macs and iMacs do not supply power through their Firewire ports when the computers are powered down, even though they may themselves be connected to AC power.  MacBooks and MacBooks Pro, however, continue to supply power through the Firewire ports, as long as their AC adaptor is connected to the machine and to AC power.

There was a thread here on the RME forum some time ago, which included some pictures of a fried Firewire port - the result of a spark wreaking havoc, when hot plugging/unplugging a Firewire device.  Apparently the Firewire controller chip is very small, and located very close to the connector(s), and so is easily damaged by a static zap happening at the connector.

For safety's sake, I always wait until my iMac is powered down, my Fireface too, before unplugging the Firewire connections.  On my MacBook Pro, I will disconnect the AC adaptor as well.  When I think about it, my whole livelihood flows through that little connection, so I'll baby it.  During my last visit to the Genius Bar at an Applestore, I saw several of the technicians hot plugging bus powered firewire hard drives (LaCie Rugged) to people's computers, in order to reboot into one of their diagnostic environments.  I insisted that they wait until I had completely powered down my machine, before making any connection, and of course they were fine with this slight delay.

A word to the wise is a penny earned, as they say...

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3385

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

fl, for what it's worth my iMac ('09 2.93GHz C2D) certainly does supply power via F/W without the computer running. I often enjoy the ability to run it 'standalone' without turning my computer on. Likewise when shutting the iMac down, the FF stays on, I just get the red host light on the front panel appear.

Thanks for the link!