Topic: Problems setting up HDSP 9652 PCI - help please

Hi,

I recently installed my HDSP 9652 PCI Card on my Vista 64 bit system, updated drivers and firmware and everything seemed to go smoothly.

I need some advise as to how best set up the the card with the rest of my system...

I am running Nuendo 4.3 and have my stereo Main buss out set to spdif out on the HDSP 9652. I have connected the spdif breakout cable to the spdif in on my external converter (I am temporarly using Presonus firestudio 2626 as a stand alone converter unitl my SSL Alpha Link MADI AX arrives next week). From the firestudio 2626 I have routed the spdif Main Buss signal to Anologue outs 1 + 2 which to my main Control room monitors....This setup seems to work fine...

The problem i am having is getting signal into the HDSP 9652. Today I tried to set up the digital out of one of my preamps into the HDSP 9652 and couldn't get any signal...I took the adat out from the preamp to the adat 1 ins on the HDSP 9652 - I synced the pre amp to HDSP 9652 via BNC - the preamp indicated that the units were synced but no joy with the HDSP 9652 and no level in the RME total mix. I then tried using spdif out from preamp into the remaining spdif in on the HDSP 9652 and again no luck...
I have a feeling it is a sync issue or I'm missing something to do with total mix... The HDSP 9652 was set to master in both cases...

How should my settings be in the settings dialog that u click in the windows taskbar and how should I setup total mix

I hope i made some sence trying to explain my setup, if you need more details just ask...

Thanks
hally

Re: Problems setting up HDSP 9652 PCI - help please

There is nothing to set. If an ADAT signal comes in it will be shown in the Settings dialog as LOCK or SYNC. If nothing is shown then there is no input signal or the card is defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Does the 9652 default to "SPDIF OPTICAL IN" like my Multifaces and Digifaces do? wink

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks for your responces guys, I was briefly in the studio today and I tried to connect the adat outs on the presonus firestudio to the adat 2 input on the HDSP 9652 and I had signal in total mix... So that rules out a defective card... I connected the 2 devices via BNC with RME as master and recorded @ 96khz into Nuendo via the pre amps on the firestudio. No clicks when recording but on playback there was a few

"Does the 9652 default to "SPDIF OPTICAL IN" like my Multifaces and Digifaces do?"

I am new to SPDIF/ ADat/ Toslink,coaxial, etc, so not sure what are the differences between SPDIF Optical and ADAT optical, is it just the connection? My SPDIF IN is set to Coaxial which I think refers to the RCA type connectors, is this correct?

Just so I know that I have the card setup properly I would really appreciate if someone could advise on the the best settings in the Hammerfall DSP Settings dialogue... I'll go thru them 1 by 1

WDM - do i check anything here
Buffer size - mine is set to 256 (6ms)
SyncCheck - Adat2 In indicates its in "Sync" as will the other adat ins when I connect them, SPDIF in, Word Clock and Adat Sync all say "no lock"
Options - do i check anything here
WDM devices - 13
SPDIF In - mine is set to coaxial, is this right
SPDIF Out - what needs to be checked here
SPDIF freq - no lock
Time code - blank
Word clock out - do i check single speed
CLock Mode - mine is set to master
Pref. Sync Ref - what do i check here
Auto Sync Ref - can't remember what this was
System clock - Master, 96khz

Any thoughts much appreciated
regards
hally

By the way, I am making the much belated transition from tape to digital or should i say a mixture of both so please be patient with me, this is all new to me

thanks
hally