Topic: Chipset cardbus question

Hi
Could someone explain briefly the extent to which the chipset of a laptop is significant when using a Hammerfall pcmcia cardbus? I need to replace my laptop and have the usual problems of finding something suitable. I see that Levono Thinkpads are still available with PCMCIA cardbus slot in addition to Express card slot although I believe they use the Ricoh chipset. Such a machine would allow me to continue using my Hammerfall PCMCIA card but would this circumvent any problems the chipset may otherwise cause?
Am I right in thinking that the chipset is important only when using the onboard firewire - which in any case seems to be no longer available on new laptops.

thanks
GT

Re: Chipset cardbus question

GT,
In case you haven't, check this thread, where I have a PCMCIA controller problem with a brand new Toshiba (Intel chipset), which has a Ricoh cardbus:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8033

Thanks Ericson
Yes, I had read of your problem. I'm hardly in a position to offer you advice but it seems to me as though your difficulties could be related to one of several issues and may not necessarily be due to the chipset. You're a few steps ahead of me. I'm still at the stage of trying to avoid similar difficulties myself which is why I need to understand the significance of the computer's onboard chipset.
ta
GT

What pees me off here and now, is that my old RME Cardbus was the reason why I looked for a new laptop that had a PCMCIA, not an Express slot. Now, I've spent +100 hours trying to figure out how to make the Cardbus+Digiface combo work correctly on my new PC's Window 7, only to be told that Microsoft's cardbus controller for Win7 doesn't work correctly... sad
If I'd had an itty bitty clue about such a scenario, I'd gladly have bought a PC with an Express slot, dumped my Cardbus and bought an RME HDSPe card instead.

So GT, if you're about to go the Win7 + Cardbus route, think twice!

Absolutely, I'm already on my third think! But it feels mighty peculiar to order a new custom built laptop and to specify Windows XP as the operating system which is what I'm now thinking of doing.
GT