Topic: HELP Fireface400 and Windows 7 64bit

Hi All,

I recently bought a fireface400 to work with SMAART V7 on a windows 7/64bit operation system. I cant get to install the drivers. Windows always tells me there occurs an error installing the drivers. I have tried the drivers supplied with the unit on CD-rom and the drivers i downloaded from the RME the website.
I suspect it to be a windows related issue but cant figure out what it can be... Please help!!

Thanx very much!
Erik

Re: HELP Fireface400 and Windows 7 64bit

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanx for the reply. I found this explanation on the site already and followed this but even then the installation does not succeed. It seems to stall half way through the process and then Windows says an error has occurred and the driver did not install correctly. If i go to device-manager it recognizes a Fireface400 but when i right click on the device it says there is no river installed... Im really lost here!

Greetz
Erik

FireWire controller chip? Tried different FW cable?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeap tried a different cable and that didn't do anything either...

When i plug in the unit windows recognizes it as a new device that needs a driver. I install the driver as per your instructions but it always seems to stall half way through the installation. After such an unsuccessful installation (cause that's what windows tells me) windows recognizes the fireface400 as an audio unit but when i right-click on it and go to properties it says that no driver has been installed. When i choose update driver windows says the driver is up to date only no program can access the audio unit. Also i cant run the fireface-settings application and fireface-mixer application.

I tried the installation on a mac and it works like a dream...oh i hate windows!!!!!!!!!!! But i need it to run on my pc laptop ASAP:-(((((.

Any other suggestions?

Thanx for the help!
Best
Erik

What FW chipset does your laptop have?

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

Where in windows can i find that info?

The laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook T4410...
Thanx for your help!!

Control panel>system>hardware>sytem devices(don't know if the last one is the correct word?)>IEEE 1394

Or run SisoftSandra, it used to tell the brand of the FW chipset too.

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

it says: IEEE 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Things you can try:

- Check Windows 7 "Troubleshooting" Center and Log entries to find out what exactly went wrong.

- Stop and then Restart the "Windows Installer" service.

- Boot into Safe-Mode and remove all FF files manually (this is to make sure these files ain't setup with wrong security permission/ownership rights, which sometimes can happen with failed installations).

- Create a new user account and give it administrative rights, try the installation with this account.

- Remove the FF driver and restart. Plug in the FF400 and let Windows identify it, but do *not* install the drivers. Unplug the FF and have Device-Manager show "hidden devices". Search for the entry that is the (still uninstalled) Fireface and install the drivers while the FF is *not* connected. Restart Windows and then connect the Fireface.

Hi, i have a similar problem trying to run the ff400 on a pc with a lacie800 fw pci and windows 7 64bit. it just wont even see the device. and then, once or twice, i got it to work, than at the end of the night switched off the pc and next day its not working again. I am really running out of patience and options.. i even got back to windows xp 32... but i am going to get pt 9 and that wont work on xp...

please you good people from RME, give me a shimmer of hope..

12 (edited by jcschild 2011-04-26 14:33:12)

Erik wrote:

Where in windows can i find that info?

The laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook T4410...
Thanx for your help!!

chances are it wont work with that laptop due to firewire chipset and many other potential issues.
most off the shelf laptops are horrid for audio

try setting the firewire to Legacy about the only chance you have. and even then

device manager-click the triangle next to the FW device then double click the lower one-driver-update driver

. Choose "Browse my Computer for driver software". A new window will pop up.

4. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". A new window will pop up.

5. The option "Show compatible hardware" is ticked by default. You should get three optional drivers called:

"1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller"
"1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"
"Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller"

6. Choose "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" and click on the "Next" button. The driver will install.

Scott
ADK

Soulcheck wrote:

Hi, i have a similar problem trying to run the ff400 on a pc with a lacie800 fw pci and windows 7 64bit. it just wont even see the device. and then, once or twice, i got it to work, than at the end of the night switched off the pc and next day its not working again. I am really running out of patience and options.. i even got back to windows xp 32... but i am going to get pt 9 and that wont work on xp...

please you good people from RME, give me a shimmer of hope..

are you sure that Lacie card is Texas Instruments chipset?
i didnt think it was.