Topic: multiface 2 aes to spdif issue

Is there anyone who can explain me step by step(pin by pin)
the correct procedure(cable construction) to build an aes to spdif
cable.I can understand reading the 26.2 section of the manual the opposite procedure
spdif to aes with the two female pins connect to the phono plug
and the  cable shielding from the aes pin1 left free in the cable, but I've some trouble
and douts understandig how to connect this lates one(the cable shielding) in an aes to
spdif cable.
Thanks in advance
Alessandro

Re: multiface 2 aes to spdif issue

Please ignore the first post
It' just the contrary:
Is there anyone who can explain me step by step(pin by pin)
the correct procedure to build an spdif to aes
cable.I can understand reading the 26.2 section of the manual the opposite procedure
aes to spdif with the two female pins connect to the phono plug
and the  cable shielding from the aes pin1 left free in the cable, but I've some trouble
and doubts understandig how to connect this lates one(the cable shielding) in a spdif
to aes cable.
Thanks in advance
Alessandro

The way I understand it the same way, not connected at the spdif side, only the 2 signals and connected the the correct pin at the xlr.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Yes,vinark.That's what I got too,reading the multiface manual.
But yesterday after few days of issues(intermittent sound and glitches)
I decided to open the cable made by a famous engineer for my consolle
and I discovered that in both the cables the screen cables were connected to the
spdif side and just two pins were used in aes side.
The fact is that after almost a week that I have been trying those cables trouble free
and getting back the purest sound ,suddenly after changing frequency from 96k to
44,1k a pair of days ago the signal start getting noisy and intermittent and sometimes
get better when I simply touch the multiface with an hand or if I pull out the wordclock cable.
I could not isolate the problem then I want to start using the correct connection.
I'm waiting for some audio quality cables to be assembled And I'd like to get
some feedback more to follow the right way.
Thanks
Alessandro

I generally use a regular SPDIF type coax cable and wire it into the XLR with Pin 2 = Hot and Pin 3 = Shield (pin 1 = no connection).  You can get a SPDIF cable and chop off one of the ends - or cut it in half to make 2 cables.  I use this type cable to feed a DB-Max's AES I/O from the Multiface SPCIF Coax - works like a charm...

I'm assuming you have the "Professional" box ticked in the HDSP settings dialogue for your SPDIF Output?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks Randyman.
That procedure you describe is what i've been trying  since
the problem started.
This morning checking again I found another strange behaviour.
In order to isolate the problem I started checking just the da section with
the multiface as master with the word clock connected.
Then the configuration was:macbookpro-multiface(setting as professional)-The
cable as you said-and aes da section of the crookwood mastering consolle enabled.
Any effort was useless and I could not even listen audio at any frequency.
I could see the signal in the total mix but not on the crookwood vu meter.

Then I tried connecting also the return and slaving the multiface trought
spdif.
well now I could listen the 44.1k in a magnificent way but not if I leave the
44.1 to the 48 or 96 unless I put my hand on the multiface as an antenna.

Another strange behaviour:if I pull out the word clock cable from the multiface(for real not used
to send the clock in any direction) the audio suddenly stopped,and just came back if I touch
at the same time the end(of the wordclock cable) and the multiface acting as bridge between
the multice and crookwood.Now I can monitor at any frequency and processing the audio
material but I would need anothe hand:roll(probably 4)

These are symptoms,now I'd like to discover the source.

Alessandro
PS:
I'm also considering to go via toslink buying an adi 4dd but
I have to discover the source of the problem before going on.

Can you just describe what you are trying to do?
Is there any other way to try the sync? Spdif with a known good cable or adat maybe? If that works we at least know the devices are working ok.
what you describe sounds like wrong cables and grounding. There was an article in SOS magazine in the studio sos series with almost the same symptoms. Caused by  shielding and signal mix up. Wordclock would fail when the light was switched on or off....

Vincent, Amsterdam

Well i'm trying to go with the audio from the multiface spdif to aes crookwood and after processing,
back to the daw (crookwood aes out to multiface spdif).
The sync seems ok but when I try to change the frequency with the crookwood I have to
change that also in the mac audio configuration or I get half the frequency in the sync allignment.
This probably due to the asrc(asyncronous nature of the consolle coverters but i'm not sure).
Also using the multiface as master clock I have to change the audio configuration to allign the
whole system.The headphone out of multiface works.In my previous configuration I used the
mytek ad da with toslink and have never had these kind of problems.But now you make me think
that my choice of toslink was forced by the fact that sometimes I could get some little current touching the
knob converters.
But now I sold myteks because I prefer the consolle converters then I can't check in other ways.

Thanks Vinark
Alessandro

What if you set the crookwood to spdif level instead of the rme to aes?
See if you can get all of the power for your setup from one outlet, if not already so.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Well Vinark and randyman thak you very much I found the problem source.
It's a shame to tell you what the problem source was but i will  as someone
will not make the same.
A pair of weeks ago after selling myteks and a compressor I found that the spare space
left could fit just my second monitor.That was the source.The monitor shared just the same current source
of the rme and almost touched the multiface.
At the moment i'm still checking but I think to be right.

Ciao Alessandro

Ps:The monitor was very cool overthere but .......:-)

Great! doesn't sound to stupid at all, we all have heaps of gear on top of each other...

Vincent, Amsterdam