Topic: FF800 + Sonar 8.5 + win7 64bits + Ricoh Firewire = weird problem

Hi everyone !
I'm a bit new to sound recording, and i'm experiencing some problems i can't understand.
Despite bad firewire support, my FF800 seems to work on my laptop with ricoh firewire.
I can record without clicks and with low latency.
BUT
Once i tested everything and checked it worked (playing some drums for 5 minutes)... I decided to record a rehearsal with my band.
As soon as the volume gets high, it didn't record anymore.
I had Blue Screens (BSOD), my computer got stuck a few times etc...

Is there something to try?
I didn't change any parameters except i switched to ASIO in sonar (WDM doesn't work).

Re: FF800 + Sonar 8.5 + win7 64bits + Ricoh Firewire = weird problem

More details, please. I've not heard of recordings stopping or even BSODs because of high volume...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

If you have 4-pin mini FW on the notebook (or worse, 6-pin to 4-pin adapter) maybe the drums are causing the connector to move. Mine would lose connection with any slight touch (on an older XP laptop), these 4-pin connections are pretty flaky.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

What is the blue screen message?

What latency? Have you updated 1394b driver with hotfix? What other hardware are there in your system? Any IRQ conflicts?
In Sonar: what audio options do you tried?

-Panu

sonarmods.com

5 (edited by alex84xela 2010-06-04 08:28:21)

First I am sorry not having posted all the details.

So first i have to say i just wanted to gather informations about things to try while I can't try anything, my band is on tour. I will check all the suggestions i can gather next month.
We have built a little home recording studio, and i was trying and checking everything while the mixing room wasn't finished. So the computer was on the floor, in front of the drumkick. I guess Jeff is right, because I have this 4pin to 6pin cable, and i guess it was moving when we were playing louder. Next month, the mixing room will be done, I'll put my computer in there and if this cable was the problem, it should work fine !

Else, for other ideas, here are specs :

IRQ information

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8Oy-Byk0gF4/TAiU52_E2rI/AAAAAAAAAL4/gsAUzixltns/s576/IRQ.jpg

Computer is a dell studio 1557 with i7 720QM and 4 Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM.

What latency ? less than 3ms
I have updated all my drivers to the latest stable version (no beta drivers)
Sonar : i tried adding read and write buffer, changing the sync and clicked almost everywhere (you can ask for specific changes, but i tried a bit of everything), before getting back to defaults.

Bought a TI chipset firewire 800 card, everything works well now.