Topic: CPU Usage Mainstage MBP

I just got an expresscard for my multiface, and when creating a blank concert in mainstage, then adding 3-4 audio tracks (no plugins, just separate inputs), the CPU usage hits 50% at 64 buffers (30% on my quad core MacPro)
Even at 128, after adding a few plugins, the system becomes very unstable.

Please let me know what I can do to make this card usable.

Thanks,
Danny

Re: CPU Usage Mainstage MBP

Please provide more details about the system. Does thi affect other software, too?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The system is a 15" mbp 2.5ghz, the model right before the unibodies were announced.

In mainstage, when I select the built in input, the CPU usage is around 6%, as soon as I change it to the rme driver, the CPU usage hits 50%, but only if there are tracks with inputs present, every blank track with a separate input adds way more CPU usage. At 50%, I had four tracks present, all completely blank, with separate inputs engaged. (this is at 64 buffers, at 128, the idle is around 30%.

In logic, the idle state seems to be better, however all the processing always uses up only one of the cores.

Thanks,
Danny

By the way, in the Mac pro, I am using an express card to pcie converter, I know they are not officially supported, but it was bought just to troubleshoot this problem. The card is detected and works fine in the mac pro, but suffers from the same flaws as in the mbp.. Only one core in logic used,  and mainstage idle is lower than the mbp, but still much higher than i had in my pc days using cubase and the pci hdsp. The idle cpu was always very low.. Below ten percent even when monitoring multiple inputs at once.

Thanks,
Danny

Do you have any ideas as to why the idle CPU is so high?

It starts off at around 8%. Once I turn input monitoring on a track that has NO plugins, it jumps over 10% PER TRACK.
Here is a completely blank project with 3 tracks with input monitoring enabled. CPU reads 44%!!
[img align=L]http://www.daytrippertribute.com/files/screen.png[/img]

I also have an Express card in my 2007 MBP, and I've noticed the system works hard when processing in real time with Logic or Mainstage. Have you tried another host? Try Reaper (which is free to evaluate) and see if you get the same behavior.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

...i've got the same computer + expresscard and don't have any problems playing with a buffer size of 128...i haven't checked my cpu usage though...what do you mean with "unstable"? do you have dropouts or aren't you're able to work at all?...just because the cpu usage rate is hight doesn't mean the system is unstable...

the system was stable, just had a very high cpu usage.. it seemed due to mainstage/logic being very heavy for realtime use.. reaper had better performance

Thanks!

I am experiencing exactly the same issue with a 2.93 Ghz MacBookPro running Mainstage 2 with RME UFX on Lion.  As soon as I set the input to RME UFX the CPU spikes to 50-60% on idle.  It spikes to 100% when I switch between patches and the transition between patches incurs pauses and clicks.  Any ideas if this is a Mainstage or RME driver issue?

Just an update on this topic, the cpu appears to spike when buses are used to connect to auxiliary channel strips.  the cpu usage increases dramatically with each new bus connection even when in idle.
Also I tested with Apogee Duet and the same thing occurs therefore the issue does not appear to be related to the audio interface but to MainStage 2 and how it handles auxiliary channels.

Are we talking Logic 8's or 9's Mainstage. In L8 Mainstage could only use a single (!) CPU core. In L9 it learned multi-core, but I don't know how it was implemented in practice (didn't update to 9).

12 (edited by Scheffkoch 2011-11-08 11:36:37)

...with my early 2008 2.5 macbook pro i'm able to play with a buffer of 128 samples (latest logic + latest mainstage version) BUT the fuller my hard disk gets the more cpu spikes i get...i had massive problems when my hd was like 75/80% full but after deleting some files and getting back to 40% everything is smooth again...so i'd recommend to check your hd!...