Topic: Wordclock HDSPeMAdi Exp / ADI 648 question

Hi,
I am master-clocking my studio from a Big Ben. Would the Madi/648 chain as follows:

Big Ben wc Out   to    ADI 648 wc In    then    ADI 648 out   to    HDSPe Expansion card in/terminate?

Not sure of config between exp card and 648.

Thanks for any info

Re: Wordclock HDSPeMAdi Exp / ADI 648 question

The Big Ben has multiple (6) WC outs - I'd probably use them in that fashion.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks Randyman. So both  HDSPe card AND ADI-648 both need to see clock. Clock does not pass thru opti cable from one to the other like in adat-land, correct?
(pls excuse my ignorance..new to this madi world)

Also, wondering if placing HDSPe card in MacPro x16 pci slot would help optimize latency.

Thanks

4 (edited by Randyman... 2010-06-10 00:20:46)

I'm not knowledgeable with MADI itself - but I believe BNC WC is recommended over embedded MADI or ADAT WC.  There are likely some cases where it won't make any discernable difference (like say 3 ADI-8's on a Digiface - the ADI-8's would use BNC to lock to each other - but the Digiface could gladly use ADAT Reference w/o any ill effects)

I doubt the actual ASIO latency would be any different depending on the PCIe slot you use.  Some have even claimed that the sound quality is different from PCIe x1 off the MCH/ICH versus a PCIe 16x off the CPU, but I find that concept highly amusing myself smile .

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

yes, I saw that post. pretty entertaining.

thanks for the info

For this small setup you don't need WC between the 648 and the HDSPe MADI. Everything can be clocked by MADI directly. If you prefer to use WC no problem too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME