Topic: Help with HDSP9652 + Steinberg MR816 + Cubase External FX

Hello,

I recently added a HDSP9652 to my setup. It?s connected via ADAT to my MR816 interface. I have different hardware fx connected to all of the MR816?s 8 analog I/O. I have no problem with external in fx in Cubase when I use the MR816 ASIO driver in Cubase. everything works flawlessly. But obviously I want to use the RME driver to get lower latency, better routing options etc. The problem is I just can?t get the external FX to work when running the RME ASIO driver. I can see the signal going out in TotalMix but nothing going in. I can see the signal going into the MR816?s analog inputs but can?t see or hear the signal in Cubase.
I have know idea what I?m doing wrong and would be really grateful for any help!

Regards,

Andreas

Re: Help with HDSP9652 + Steinberg MR816 + Cubase External FX

You can only use one ASIO driver at a time in Cubase.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Andreas N 2010-06-14 16:03:50)

Yes, I know that.

What computer ? Mac, Windows, which system ? which version of Cubase ?

You should be able to see input/output with RME Asio Drivers in cubase.  If it's not the case, you must follow that way to solve it.

It?s only the tracks I insert external fx on that I can?t see/hear the signal (in cubase). I use win xp sp3, q6600, 3gb ram, Cubase 4.52.

Hi Andreas,
When using the External effects option on the MR816x to access it's built in effects the ADAT and SPDIF connections are disabled.
The Mr816x uses the digital channels as effects send and returns for the internal effects.
So when your using the MR816x it is only a 8 analog I/O device.

If you are using the RME card as the ASIO driver in Cubase you also need to remove the MR816x extensions from Cubase. As long as they are there it will over ride and prevent you from doing any routing in the MR Editor.
The MR unit is pretty useless as a AD/DA because of it's need to have it plugged into Firewire and use the MR editor. It;s great as a audio interface in general but it's method and limitations when using it's built in effects is a pain. Steinberg does not make it very clear on their web site or the manual on how to effectively use the effect or how to use the unit as a AD/DA converter.

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

I don?t use the mr816?s fx, I?m talking about analog hardware fx. I run the MR816 in ADAT mode. The extensions are removed from Cubase and I use the MR editor in standalone. I use the RME ASIO but need to switch to steinbergs to be able to use my hardware fx. It?s a pain to switch back and forth so I don?t use my hardware much anymore! I really want to though.

Hi there.

I have a very similar problem. I also use a RME hsdp9652 card. Via adat I use two Focusrite Saffire pro 26 I/o and an ada8000 to end up with 24 analog ins and outs. They are of course not connected to the computer via FireWire but via adat through the hdsp card.
I am trying to use outboard gear as external effects in cubase 5. I have no problem routing audio out of my adat units (eg. ada8000) and in to my outboard (eg. Gap pre73). I'm also capable of returning the audio from my outboard and in to Cubase again, but my problem is with the monitoring settings in totalmix. I can't figure out how to monitor the return from my outboard alone without also monitoring the send signal. I can record the processed signal to separate tracks, but when monitoring the signal I hear both dry and wet signals combined resulting in some comb-filter sounding audio.

How do I monitor the wet signal returning from my outboard gear, without the dry signal sent from Cubase?

Bjerre wrote:

Hi there.

I have a very similar problem. I also use a RME hsdp9652 card. Via adat I use two Focusrite Saffire pro 26 I/o and an ada8000 to end up with 24 analog ins and outs. They are of course not connected to the computer via FireWire but via adat through the hdsp card.
I am trying to use outboard gear as external effects in cubase 5. I have no problem routing audio out of my adat units (eg. ada8000) and in to my outboard (eg. Gap pre73). I'm also capable of returning the audio from my outboard and in to Cubase again, but my problem is with the monitoring settings in totalmix. I can't figure out how to monitor the return from my outboard alone without also monitoring the send signal. I can record the processed signal to separate tracks, but when monitoring the signal I hear both dry and wet signals combined resulting in some comb-filter sounding audio.

How do I monitor the wet signal returning from my outboard gear, without the dry signal sent from Cubase?

Did you figure out how to set up the monitoring and have no comb filtering sound? If not I could tell you the settings that I am using within Total Mix that work for me.

Cheers.

I found a guide on Sound on Sound, which described the settings needed and how to set up an external effect in Cubase, and everything is good now, thank you :-)

Bjerre wrote:

I found a guide on Sound on Sound, which described the settings needed and how to set up an external effect in Cubase, and everything is good now, thank you :-)

Glad to hear it.  Cheers!

rcprod wrote:
Bjerre wrote:

Hi there.

Did you figure out how to set up the monitoring and have no comb filtering sound? If not I could tell you the settings that I am using within Total Mix that work for me.

Cheers.

Could you please tell me? Got the same problem with my Babyface using external FX in cubase 6...