Topic: Fireface 400 - Unable to record in Wavelab when a web browser is open

Hi there,

My first post here, hopefully someone can put me straight.

This problem is related to a Fireface400 on an Windows XP SP3 system, running Wavelab 6.

I'm not able to record in Wavelab if i have a web browser open at the same time. Audio playback from either application whilst they are both open however is fine, even simultaneously.
I would understand this if i had the ASIO driver selected in Wavelab, but i have purposely selected the MME-WDM Microsoft Sound Mapper driver within Wavelab so i can reference audio from the browser in between takes. I also tried selecting specific recording/playback input/output pairs within Wavelab (MME-WDM Fireface 400 Analog(1+2)) but still no joy.
What happens is that when i hit record in Wavelab i get this error:

"Cannot open Wave device for recording. Are you sure your audio card supports the currently specified sample rate and/or bit resolution? Check also if the input of the audio card is in slave or auto-sync mode."

Everything looks "normal" in the Fireface control panel (i have the default settings), and in Windows Sounds and Audio Devices i have Fireface 400 Analog 1+2 selected for both sound playback and recording.

If i close the browser application i am instantly able to record as normal.

I also have PCs with MOTU and M-Audio firewire intefaces, and i am able to record whilst multiple applications are open without problems on those machines, as long as i use the MME-WDM Microsoft Sound Mapper driver within Wavelab. This only seems to be a problem with the Fireface 400.

Any suggestions on how to solve this are much appreciated.

------------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU@2.66GHz
4GB RAM
Wavelab 6.10 (build 340)
RME Fireface 400 (driver version 2.9992, Hardware Revision 1.70)

Re: Fireface 400 - Unable to record in Wavelab when a web browser is open

Hi,

use different channels in each apps with ASIO or/and MME-WDM

as exampel
app "1" use 1&2 for recording, use 3&4 for playback
app "2" use 3&4 for recording, use 1&2 for playback

then route in Fireface mixer to what to listen to or recording
to a third app etc

regards S-EH

3 (edited by Slipperhero 2010-06-28 10:35:46)

Thanks for the info S-EH.
I guess i'm doing something wrong, as Wavelab is still not happy about recording when a 2nd application is open. I changed the recording input to MME-WDM Fireface 5+6 in Wavelab, and Firefox (the 2nd application) is obviously just using the settings as specified in Control Panel (Fireface 1+2). I still get the same error message though when i hit record in Wavelab. Am i missing something here?

What's the standard device for recording in the Windows control panel?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel, sorry for the delay in getting back.
The standard device for recording in the Windows control panel is Fireface 400 Analog (5+6). I still get the error in Wavelab when attempting to record and i have Youtube open for instance.

Try setting the onboard device as standard. Wavelab does not rely on this setting.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Try setting the onboard device as standard. Wavelab does not rely on this setting.

I'm afraid i don't follow you Daniel. What do you mean by the onboard device?

Are you referring to the motherboard soundcard? If so, I don't have that hooked up so i wouldn't hear anything from the browser or other apps that look at the control panel settings for their sound output. The Fireface is the only device active on the PC.

Well, I'd suggest you try it anyhow. Also, I was only referring to the setting for standard recording device for now. Please test it...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel, you're a genius. It works now! Thanks a lot. I did exactly what you suggested, changed the default recording device in Control Panel to the on-board motherboard soundcard, now it works as i need it to.
Cheers!