Topic: HDSPe AIO 38 channels? RME PCIe Solutions...

I only see two adat ports on this card, I don't understand how you get 38 in's & out's on this card

even if both adat's were inputs, that would be 16...

Can someone explain how this works? I've searched everywhere for the past few hours and still have no answer.

Also, can anyone recommend me a PCIe solution somewhat equivalent to the FF800. I don't need the pre's obviously. I'm looking to move to a lower latency / cleaner solution. I will be going analog pre-s to adat via convertors. I am also syncing with a apogee bigben.

Thanks!

Re: HDSPe AIO 38 channels? RME PCIe Solutions...

I forgot to mention, I'm on Windows 64 bit i7 980x machine (ASUS P6X58D MB)

I only see two adat ports on this card, I don't understand how you get 38 in's & out's on this card

2 analog in
2 analog out
2 phones out
2 SPDIF in
2 SPDIF out
2 AES/EBU in
2 AES/EBU out
8 ADAT in
8 ADAT out
4 analog in (optional expansion card)
4 analog out (optional expansion card)
--
38 channels

Also, can anyone recommend me a PCIe solution somewhat equivalent to the FF800. I don't need the pre's obviously. I'm looking to move to a lower latency / cleaner solution. I will be going analog pre-s to adat via convertors. I am also syncing with a apogee bigben.

Not sure I completely understand what you want, but for ADAT I/O take a look at the HDSPe RayDAT card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

The number of I/O's specified is exactly that: I + O.  So 38 Channels means a TOTAL of 38 Input & Output channels.  The Expansion Card ports are probably what threw you off wink

I personally prefer the Digiface over the RayDAT as you can mount the Digiface Breakout Box on top of your ADAT AD/DA's and use short 12" ADAT Cables (Hosa sells a 6-pack of 12" ADAT Patch Cables that are PERFECT for these extremely short runs).  Your Wordclock and everything is then inside your rack with very short runs.  Then the single HDSP connection (firewire cable) goes to your PC.   VERY clean, and I strongly prefer this over having a ton of ADAT cables running to my PC as I fiddle with my computers often.  You get the convenience of Firewire with the stability and performance of PCI :-)

I wish RME would have made the Raydat a BOB style upgrade to the Digiface - and a BOB type MADI interface (a la Expresscad MADI but for desktops) would be nice as well - but less of a benefit since MADI is only 2 wires as-is.  I have 5 Multiface/Digiface setups - they are just such a fantastic concept IMO.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

The number of I/O's specified is exactly that: I + O.  So 38 Channels means a TOTAL of 38 Input & Output channels.  The Expansion Card ports are probably what threw you off wink

I personally prefer the Digiface over the RayDAT as you can mount the Digiface Breakout Box on top of your ADAT AD/DA's and use short 12" ADAT Cables (Hosa sells a 6-pack of 12" ADAT Patch Cables that are PERFECT for these extremely short runs).  Your Wordclock and everything is then inside your rack with very short runs.  Then the single HDSP connection (firewire cable) goes to your PC.   VERY clean, and I strongly prefer this over having a ton of ADAT cables running to my PC as I fiddle with my computers often.  You get the convenience of Firewire with the stability and performance of PCI :-)

I wish RME would have made the Raydat a BOB style upgrade to the Digiface - and a BOB type MADI interface (a la Expresscad MADI but for desktops) would be nice as well - but less of a benefit since MADI is only 2 wires as-is.  I have 5 Multiface/Digiface setups - they are just such a fantastic concept IMO.

cool

can you get down to 32 samples with that setup

im stuck at 48 or 64 with the fireface...

im obsessed with latency and willing to pay for lowest possible

Of course.  I actually have two Digifaces in my Tracking DAW and it still handles 32 samples.  The RayDAT would easily handle 32 samples on an efficient DAW PC as well.

The AWESOME thing is you can buy used Digiface & PCI card setups from $300-$500 on eBay!  I saw a combo sell for like $255 last week (I kicked myself for missing out on that deal!).

If obtaining the lowest latency is absolutely crucial - also look closely at your choice of AD/DA converters as they can add close to 1ms each way as well!  I know the RME ADI-8 QS is supposed to be one of the "quickest" converters out there - and not cheap.  The Apogee AD16x/DA16x series is also supposed to be very quick with regard to conversion latency.

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

i checked out the specs on the digiface and the multiface ii, they both say lowest latency was 1.5 MS

the raydat is checking out at 0.7

When the Multiface/Digiface was released that was true under the 2.x drivers.  With Firmware Update 17/55 and the 3.x driver released in 2008 or so, the Multiface/Digiface can use 32 samples:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3947/multiface32samples.png

I love them - and have 5 different Multiface/Digiface setups that gladly run @ 32 samples.  If you buy used they are one of the best deals on the planet for a low-latency PCI/PCIe based interface IMNSHO...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

thanks so much for all the information and insight!

My pleasure!

If RME reads this - it might be a good idea to revise your product pages that still list 64/1.5ms as the lowest sample rates for these units wink  If Joey spoke up about it on the forum that means many others have taken it as fact w/o questioning the officially published specs.  I even have a question with regards to the PCI HDSP MADI card and its supported latencies since the product page still lists 64/1.5ms as the lowest it will run...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Randyman... wrote:

My pleasure!

If RME reads this - it might be a good idea to revise your product pages that still list 64/1.5ms as the lowest sample rates for these units wink  If Joey spoke up about it on the forum that means many others have taken it as fact w/o questioning the officially published specs.  I even have a question with regards to the PCI HDSP MADI card and its supported latencies since the product page still lists 64/1.5ms as the lowest it will run...

cool

i even went as far as downloading the manuals to find out for sure

the manuals still say 1.5

Which manuals exactly?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I know these official product pages show 64/1.5ms as the lowest:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_multiface_2.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_digiface.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_madi.php

And the Digiface Manual posted on the product page shows the old driver settings box on page 16 (I'd bet the MF and MADI cards list the same specs):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dface_e.pdf

That's about as far as I'd expect any potential customer to go for confirmation.  Why post here and ask when the official pages seem to be crystal clear?  They are getting out of date info that might make other manufacturer's interfaces seem more appealing.

Just a heads up wink

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX