Topic: ADI-8 DS into Ensemble?

Hello,

I've recently purchased an ADI-8 DS to add an additional 8 I/O into my existing Apogee Ensemble (running Logic 9 on a G5).  I'm very excited to get it up and running, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to set everything up properly.  Is there an easy way to do this that I'm not understanding?  I've been reading both manuals thoroughly and searching any online forum I can find. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Dylan

Re: ADI-8 DS into Ensemble?

Hi!
The easy way is to buy 2 ADAT optical cables and connect the ADI and the Ensemble via the optical ins and outs. Set the ADI to external sync and you are good to go...
No need for wordclock IMHO.

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Zapp wrote:

The easy way is to buy 2 ADAT optical cables and connect the ADI and the Ensemble via the optical ins and outs. Set the ADI to external sync and you are good to go...
No need for wordclock IMHO.

Thank you so much for your help, Zapp!  I've tried the setup you suggested, and here's what I got: with the ADAT cables installed into both In and Out and the ADI set to External, all three lights are blinking (A/D, D/A, and ADAT).  The Input State isn't recognized, and there is no sign of the ADI in my Logic input or output list. 

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? 

Thank you again for your advice!
Dylan

4 (edited by Zapp 2010-06-30 07:56:23)

Are you shure you have connected the cables the right way?
There are four connectors at the back of the ADI, on the left (where the analog outputs are) called "Main" and "Aux", these are the outputs. You have to connect one of the cables to the "Main"-connector and to the input of the Ensemble. On the right side there are the inputs, also labeled "Main" and "Aux", there you connect the other cable also to the "Main"-connector and the output of the Ensemble. And you have to set the ADI at the clock section to "Input" and "Adat"
Maybe you have to go into the settings of the Ensemble and look for sync, Adat and other gimmicks like Adat-format, I don't know Ensemble.

Hope this helps...

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Set the ADI to "Input", not "External". And it won't appear in Logic as a new device. You'll only see the Ensemble's ADAT I/Os, if there are any... cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

..., if there are any... cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hehe, this was a good one!

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Hi. I seem to have the same problem, I´ve set the the Rme adi8 ds to input, I can see now in Logic that I know have more channels, but when I assing a audiotrack via the Rme to my console, there is no signal. I can see Logic is sending audio on ch 16, it stops there. I have a new cable (tascam 25 pin d sub), connected out to the console from the Rme and the optical cable is out from the Ensemble to in on the Rme. I´ve also tried to reconnect and tried different cables. I´ve also made a new and different  "setups" in the Apogees software "Maestro" but without any luck.
Please somebody help me before I..... really want this to work.
Blesses to you all // Berndt

Hi
I´ve solved it. It was a setup in Maestro that I missed. The Rme works just fine.

snarepal wrote:

Hi. I seem to have the same problem, I´ve set the the Rme adi8 ds to input, I can see now in Logic that I know have more channels, but when I assing a audiotrack via the Rme to my console, there is no signal. I can see Logic is sending audio on ch 16, it stops there. I have a new cable (tascam 25 pin d sub), connected out to the console from the Rme and the optical cable is out from the Ensemble to in on the Rme. I´ve also tried to reconnect and tried different cables. I´ve also made a new and different  "setups" in the Apogees software "Maestro" but without any luck.
Please somebody help me before I..... really want this to work.
Blesses to you all // Berndt