Topic: MTC from LTC ?

Hi all,

It says in the manual that MTC can be extracted from LTC/SMPTE fed into input 4.
To which midi driver is this data send ? Port 1 or 2?

Does the sync setting has to be on LTC instead of internal for this to work?

Manual doesn't add much info here. Just that it is supposed to work.

Any enlightments ? The LTC positioning and framerate does show up in the status screen of the settings utility.
So it is coming in I just need to know if it is Midi port 1 or 2 to do further troubleshooting.

Arjan

Arjan S.
Pro-Found Recordings & SAE
Owns:Hammerfall9652,Multiface I,2xADI-8 Pro,Fireface UC.

Re: MTC from LTC ?

The manuals had been updated, it says:

The Fireface UC can extract position information as APP (ASIO Positioning Protocol) from Timecode (LTC, SMPTE) received at the analog input 4.

No MTC support planned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Arjan S. 2010-06-30 07:51:59)

Hmmm.. That sucks.

Just happy then that I didn't sell my JLCooper PPS-100 then. Shouldn't be so hard to program this in now should it ?
Isn't the code already there in the FF800 with TCO option ?

A little disapointed that features which are in the manual before I bought the device are taken out a week after buying the device.

Arjan S.

The manual had been updated (and uploaded) 08/2009. That feature has not been removed, it never existed. Additionally the unit (like the FF 400) is not advertised with the TC input feature at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

I understand it and it's ok. I still have a PPS-100 that can do the job for me. Although I really hate having to drag that one along for the ride all the time. I had hoped to get rid of it and was dreaming of having it all in one box.

Without wanting to create any bad blood, I would like to make a point here.

The paper manual has not been updated. The online version has also NOT been updated. Checked the german version and the english. (page 20) Although it might be that the english version is still in my cache. The german version certainly was not.

Some features are advertised, but many are not too clear on how they will work out. In one thread I was pointed at the manual. And now in a different thread I am pointed away from the manual stating that it is old and out of date.

From a consumers point of view, this is like a double edged blade, no matter how you yield it, it might backfire on you.

So how do I know for sure ? The manual states the same as in the TCO manual. So I think it would work out the same as those devices. Am I wrong in this ? And asking all the right questions is rather difficult. Language barriers not being the least of some of the problems.

Is the implementation really that difficult ? I mean the TCO option in the HDSP family has it. So it should not be too difficult to do. I know it requires an extra midi driver just for this option. It cannot be the cost of getting it certified, right ? But further than that it should be a simple copy of code and a few adjustments here and there. No need to completely reinvent the wheel.

Sorry for this long post and rant. But I felt like I should make a point of the sloppy documentation which seems to be incorrect / incomplete at places.

You make some of the best gear around. And I will always recommend RME to all of my students at the SAE. But these things are dissapointments. Waisted time trying it out in front of class and had to revert back to my other hardware to do the job. Did not look good. (Although I should have tested it before class, but I simply didn't have the time..)

Arjan S.

Ooops, don't know how that happened...wrong version on the web and in printing....sorry.

The TCO has an extra SteadyClock and FPGA, so...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Arjan,

the programmer is in holiday mood and thus added LTC to MTC to the Fireface UC (this does NOT fit into the FPGA of the Fireface 400!). Check it out, if it works then it is on MIDI input 2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by Arjan S. 2010-07-09 12:10:16)

That is awsome. I'll check it after the weekend.
It will make life much easier. Brilliant.

THX

Arjan S.

Ok checked it and it works. Took me quite some time since the first test I ran had some bad smpte.
And the holidays were sort of in the middle. It was not so easy to troubleshoot since my JLC had no trouble with it. Dropouts and level trouble.

Arjan S.

If I understand you correctly then the new feature works perfectly as long as the SMPTE source is ok. With a broken SMPTE signal dedicated synchronizers have less to no problem. I could live with that... ;-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah, should have restriped the tape before testing.
And used a better testing tape.
I did get data but at the end of some seconds it created a 0 second.
must be a quarter frame nibble which got skrewed up.
THX again.

Arjan S.