Topic: Fireface 800 total mix meter vs Pro Tools meter

Hello

I don't understand why in the total mix the meter displays a higher value than the Pro Tools meters

6/7 db more, it isn't exactly 6, it's like 6.5 btw more or less 6

Why that?

How to have the same value? Thanks

Re: Fireface 800 total mix meter vs Pro Tools meter

no one can give me an answer?

More details, please... Also, have you checked which meter is displaying what, RMS or peak values?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

peak values, which detail do you need?

Fireface 800 last drivers/software
OSX 10.6.3
Pro Tools 8.0.4

Thanks

Both show peak? How exactly is stuff connected...?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

well I have the Fireface 800 connected using the Firewire 800 connector in the back of the Mac Pro, the ProFire 2626 is connected at the Firewire 400 in the back of the Fireface 800, and I use Adat to transmit the 8 analog I/O of the ProFire to the Fireface.

I use wordclock to sync the ProFire (in slave) to the Fireface.

And the speakers are connected to the outputs of the Fireface, so I use the Fireface to monitor.

I notice this difference in level using the Fireface line in and the Adat in.

I think Pro Tools can only be set as peak meter

well I've better checked and seems the pro tools meters are exactly 6 db less then the rme meters I don't understand why

Well I've also noticed if I track a synth connected to a Fireface line input I get a peak -6 db lower in Pro Tools, if I track the same synth connected to the ProFire line input I get a peak -6db lower in the Fireface totalmix

I don't understand why.. the ADAT connection loses 6 db?

The 0 hash mark on the left side is not 0 dB on the meter, this is 0 dB position of the fader (no gain, no attenuation). The top of the meter is 0 dB reading. When the fader is pushed to the top position, this is +6 dB of gain.

In other words, check the numerical readout above the fader for an accurate number reading.

Unless I misunderstand...

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I'm referring only to the numerical readout

And you are certain that you changed this from default (RMS) reading?

Options > Level meter setup > numbers

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

yep because I wanted to know if I was clipping the converter

Stereo Pan Laws perhaps?

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

no doesn't change anything if I change the panning law, maybe is something with the profire but I really don't understand what...

Does the Profire have some kind of level display like Totalmix, for comparison? Or can you try other software on that computer?

ADAT transfer does not lose 6 dB, of course. Have you tested the connection the other way round, too?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

16 (edited by mattian 2010-07-10 02:06:47)

yes, in ableton the meter it's the same as the rme, but i'm trying to figure it out because i think in past was the same even in pro tools and i don't know what i've changed... honestly i don't think to have changed anything.

yes i've tested with a synth connected to the fireface line in and i have a -6 db lower value in the pro tools meters then the fireface meters, and if i connect to the profire i have -6db lower value in the rme meters.

so seems the profire lowers the volume of 6 db but i really don't understand for what reason it should do that, i'm asking the same thing in the m-audio forum but no one reply... i know rme it's great big_smile

i just needed pro tools so the profire was the better option for me tongue

but the fireface is the greatest sound card i know, i mean it's trouble free, the drivers works always, no strange behaviors (except sometimes it goes in tilt blinking all the leds, but just one time in 2/3 months and i just have to turn it off and than on, i have it since 2003/4 and always done that sometimes, but no other problems, it just works as it should big_smile)

well thanks for the support

oh well the profire has something like a totalmix but doesn't display the values.

the strange thing is that actually the volume is lowered because pro tools record -6db lower than what is displayed in the totalmix meter.

if i import a track that it's at -6 in ableton, i got the same -6 in pro tools, while if i record a track which is at -6 in ableton it's recorded at -12 in pro tools.

i will send an email to m-audio i hope they will reply....

thanks!

p.s. btw it's very annoying because .. where are gone my 6 dbssssss :-/

f**k only US support via email... i'm from italy..... the italian dealer will be incompetent as every italian dealer i've known :-/

thanks to rme to provide email support for everyone, you have replied to a my email in one day.

problem solved, i have rised up the volume in the adat out in the totalmix, at 0 db is equal to -6, i have to put the fader at +6 to have the same peak level in pro tools

thanks to all, probably someone has told me this, but i misunderstood, i thought he was talking about the input fader

ahahah so that thread gave me the ADAT user label tongue tnx