Topic: Help needed from RME studio users! Summing Daw externally -> Back in

Hi Guys,

I think this problem could be along the lines of a latency issue, flanging/copy of two signals or the infamous RME matrix setup or something else black magic.

- Ok so I have FF400 and a Fat Track in Logic 9

I think I have the right settings for  SOL's (Gains) between equipment (My FT and FF) , I/O's on the fireface and Logic 9. However I'm really out of my depth on this and I'd love a seasoned RME studio veteran to help out!!

Before now, I've used the fat-track solely for recording purposes: Virus -> Fat Track -> RME -> Logic Channel (NO PROBLEM)

Now I want to track/sum my buses/intruments with Fat Track to/from the Fireface in Logic.

WHAT I DID..... (wrong)

So to start out, I wanted to test out how it sounds and figure how to route - so I used an .mp3 song (trying to emulate a Bus) and inserted it into an audio track in logic (Input: None, Output: LOGIC Bus 1)

Decided to send this Aux to Fat Track (thinking, SEND) so I inserted an Aux track and configured: (Input: LOGIC Bus 1, output: Fat Track FF OUT 3-4)  and signal displays on internal meter from LOGIC Bus 1 fine) <---- this then goes to line/mic on the Fat Track and its VU successfully picked up signal fine from FF OUT 3-4 smile

(I will point out: checked BOTH my FT outs (bal/unbal) are PERFECT feeding incoming FF OUT 3-4 sound directly to monitors *important for later: BOTH CHANNELS ARE GOOD AT ANY FAT TRACK LEVEL- otherwise note my monitors are on FF OUT 1+2 attached to Logics master out 1/2)

So then i fed the signal coming out the Fat Track back into FF IN 3-4

So then I set up a Fat Track RETURN audio track (thinking Master In) with input:FF IN 3-4 output: Stereo 1-2 (The Logic master channel and FF OUT 1+2) and activating input monitor on Logic then succesfully feeds master channel + sounds on monitors (ok, but not perfect, read on)

I can vary the level on logic going through FF into my monitors with the Fat Track (So its coming through). At quieter volumes it sounds ok but not anywhere near peaking in logic and as I turn it up it begins to resonate with a slight lag/attack almost like a robotey/flangey sound and when i really push it, it starts weirding the FT's VU and logic's meters with alternating L/R peaking channel levels????

Its really strange as ive tried almost every setting in FF matrix / line levels / +4 -10 on both FF andFT / Different Input circuit on FT / XLR & Phono cables I/O'ing on FT/FF / Different mp3 file/wav / Gain control.  Like EVERYTHING

Any thoughts? I hope its clear enough and/or someone can point out why I'm being a (blind) fool...

Many thanks from a young enthusiast!!

Alex