Topic: dj mixer xlr -> ff400 xlr inputs?

hi there everyone, im very glad to say that the Fireface 400 is the best soundcard i have ever used.

so, im wondering if the XLR inputs may be used for line level input, or are they only to be for mic inputs?

i believe the 3.5" jack inputs within the xlr are for hi-Z

sorry if there is obvious info in the manual that i have missed.

pretty sure that line level signals cannot be fed to the ff400 xlr inputs.

the only reason i want to use them is that i have long xlr leads, and so could play the Machinedrum and Monomachine through a dj mixer in the living room, whilst recording via long xlr lead to the computer room. smile

Re: dj mixer xlr -> ff400 xlr inputs?

xlr is just one of many types of connectors... just use an xlr to trs adapter or cable and use the FF's rear line inputs!

best,
laex

DC rules!

supergeek wrote:

hi there everyone, im very glad to say that the Fireface 400 is the best soundcard i have ever used.

so, im wondering if the XLR inputs may be used for line level input, or are they only to be for mic inputs?

i believe the 3.5" jack inputs within the xlr are for hi-Z

sorry if there is obvious info in the manual that i have missed.

pretty sure that line level signals cannot be fed to the ff400 xlr inputs.

the only reason i want to use them is that i have long xlr leads, and so could play the Machinedrum and Monomachine through a dj mixer in the living room, whilst recording via long xlr lead to the computer room. smile

what is the output of your DJ mixer?

if it is XLR then you should use the mic inputs. Jack or RCA outputs would go in the back to the line inputs. And the Jacks inside the XLR's are 6.5mm.

Isaac.

for line inputs, i enjoy the front 3/4, as they show led indication of signal strength - not required, and yet quite helpful for a quick display.

there are many output types from the mixer, it is a pioneer djm800.

however, my long leads are xlr.

what my question is, is how to make the correct settings so the xlr inputs are matched to the level or impedance of the mixer's line level output.

i thought the xlr inputs are mic level input.

maybe there is a software setting i need to ensure is correct before using the mic inputs for line level input?

i have reduced the input level in the software.
sounds pretty good, i just wonder if it is best practise,
like, am i using the mic inputs for what they are made for.
are they made to also deal with line level inputs in a satisfactory and desirable way.

if they are, i would like to know any sensible software settings to make this happen in the best way.

if they are not, then i shall purchase a couple of lead adapters and use the front 3/4 inputs (unless the 5/6 and 7/8 inputs are most appropriate).

sorry if the question is not clear.
to summarize in one line:

are the xlr inputs okay for use with line level inputs? if so, is there any detail i should check in the rme software?
thanks.