Topic: HDSPe AES

Hi, first time on the the RME forum.  smile

I would like to ask: What are the input and output levels for this card?

At the moment I use an M-Audio 192 which has a stated max input of +14.2dBu balanced.

Details of Delata 192 card

Much appreciated

Re: HDSPe AES

Hello,

this card only has digital I/Os...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, thanks Daniel

Oops, sorry, I though this card was a modern form of balanced I/O. How would I connect analogue signals to this card from pre-amps then? thanks

You need an analog/AES converter, like the ADI-8 QS.

best regards
Knut

Thanks Knut but this is way out of my dimension in price + soundcard.

Is there a card, 8 or 16 channel that will connect to an XLR or TRS patchbay that I can use with my own pre-amps?

It will take me a long time to come to a decision; and also to learn about what might be the best setup: This exercise is inspired by my DAV pre-amp.

The Fireface 800 (or Fireface 400/UC) provide 10 (8) analog inputs. Plus 16 (8) ADAT input channels. With an analog to ADAT converter you get 18 (16) analog input channels. All interfaces provides +2 dBv, +13 dBu or +19 dBu (-10 dBV, +4 dBu, HiGain).

best regards
Knut

7 (edited by edjay 2010-07-13 20:54:37)

The Fireface has been mentioned on other occassions - by Alex at DV247 for example. Would this go via firewire into my computer without a sound card?

Thanks

Would this go via firewire into my computer without a sound card?

Yes.

best regards
Knut

ok, thanks Knut: So effectively, the FF800 is the soundcard and the AD/DA.

Some more questions:

How may tracks of recording can be transmitted simultaneously down the firewire 800 cable to the computer; or should I say the DAW program?

Is there a way to bypass any pre-amps in the FF800?

Does the FF800 support direct monitoring?

Would the FF800 also be used for the final mix output that would go into my amp/studio monitors?

Is there anyhwere I can find any schematics - hook-up diagrams - for the FF800?

Thanks again  smile

edjay wrote:

So effectively, the FF800 is the soundcard and the AD/DA.

Correct.

edjay wrote:

How may tracks of recording can be transmitted simultaneously down the firewire 800 cable to the computer; or should I say the DAW program?

Firewire 400 can manage all the available I/O on a FF800. Firewire 800 is available so you can add a second FF800.

edjay wrote:

Is there a way to bypass any pre-amps in the FF800?

The 8 line inputs on the back do not pass through a preamp stage. Only Preamps 9 & 10 on the front cannot be bypassed.

edjay wrote:

Does the FF800 support direct monitoring?

Of course, TotalMix (Fireface Mixer) handles this, and much more.

edjay wrote:

Would the FF800 also be used for the final mix output that would go into my amp/studio monitors?

Sure, any pair of the 8 line outs on the back panel can be used for this purpose.

edjay wrote:

Is there anyhwere I can find any schematics - hook-up diagrams - for the FF800?

Here is a link to the PDF Fireface manual: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface800_e.pdf

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the reply Jeff, that answers most of my questions  smile

Do you also know: If I were to add some Firewire sockets to my PC, would there be any bottlneck created by using a PCI Firewire card as opposed to a PCIe Firewire card? - I only have USB.

There are at least still two deciding factors - one is time and the other is money - so I can spend the near future taking in oppinions and having a look at the manual while things, errr, mature: Extra special thanks for the manual!

PCI FW cards are not generally bottlenecks - no need to worry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel

When was the FF800 first released and are there any immediate plans for the next generation of that kind of interface?