Topic: Using the ADAT as monitor output?

Hi guys!
i just got my FF800 today! and man, i'm happy! been wanting it for a long time now. but i have a question(hopefully not a too stupid one), and hope someone can help me out...

the thing is...when i got my monitors, i got a TC Electronic BMC-2 for free with them...and it was nice, because i didnt have a interface, so i used the optical out from the macbook, and then the BMC did the DA conversion...and now i want to continue using it, since the fireface doesent really have a nice big master voulme knob, and the BMC does...

so, is it possible to have my monitor out, going to the FF800 ADAT output? i have tried routing it in total mix, but its ust not possible.hw en i select the ADAT 1 or 2 output 1+2, it just wont select. and from what i have read, the monitor output can only be a hardware one (?)

what i want is that my main out, goes from the fireface's ADAT into the BMC's adat, and that the BMC then does the DA conversion.

hopefully i have made y question clear, and would REALLY appreciate any help.

thanks in advance,

-stein

Re: Using the ADAT as monitor output?

Sure this is possible. Simply mix down to ADAT (sure ADAT? Not SPDIF?). What you mean with 'don't select'? Select the ADAT/SPDIF Out in the third row and pull up all desired faders in the second row.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for your answer MC.

so...yes i mean adat, because i dont have any spdif cable avaliable right now...so, what i did was to just select the adat 1+2 in the main monitor out, it got selected, but i have no signal coming to the BMC-2....
right now i have Logic's output showing up in the mixer on Out 1 and 2 and then AN 1 and 2. i have no option to route in the third (lower) row, just on the second one...and if i route the Out 1 and Out 2 to let's say, A2 1+2 i get signal on these channels meters, but if i then select the main monitor out to A2 1+2, i still have no signal coming to the BMC-2.
If i put the tos link cable coming from the ADAT2 into the TOS in the BMC, the BMC-2 recognizes that the rate is 44.1, and the TOS Lock light is on..but is still have no sound...
im very confused...any help would be greatly appreciated....
thanks

-stein

And once again: Select the ADAT Out in the third row and pull up all desired faders in the second row. So hard to try that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hi Mathhias.

No, not hard at all.
sorry for the inconvenience...but that didnt do the trick either. finally i found out it was a mix of messing around the setting in both the FF setting and the BMC setting. its working like a charm now.

thanks for all the help!

It might be nice if you told us what "messing around the setting in both the FF setting and the BMC setting" meant so that we could know the answer in case it comes up in the forum again....

Thanks!

--Dean

HDSP9652 w/ AEB4-I/O - FireFace800 - 2 x Presonus Digimax FS - FriendChip DMX16/18

well,

as i said, i tried almost everzthing, so let me trz to remember what i did.
In the FF settings page, i de?selected ADAT2 on the Spdif Out section, set the clock mode to AutoSync, set the prferred sync ref to world clock, then i did what mathis told me, and set the ouputs of the playback channel to A1 1+2 and just put the faders up, and finally, something that i oversaw, and could have caused this whole thing just by itself, was that the sample rate on the BMC-2 was not set to the same one as in the FF, so after i set them both to the same sample rate, voala, everything works great.

thanks again for all the help,

-stein

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!

--Dean

HDSP9652 w/ AEB4-I/O - FireFace800 - 2 x Presonus Digimax FS - FriendChip DMX16/18