Topic: Audiolink Samplerate problems

I have 2 Audiolink Multisets connected to to HDSP PCI cards and synced via word clock
the 1st audiolink is the master the 2nd is the slave. All was working well the past few years.
This problem just started 2 weeks ago and was intermittent but now is happening all the time.

Problem:
Open up Cubase 5.5.0 or 5.1.1 load a new project add a instrument track.
Start recording and with in minutes I get a error message the sample rate has changed.
Cubase says the project is 44.1K (correct) the ASIO Hammerfall DSP is 48k sometimes 32k (not correct)
The lights on the 2nd multiface were blinking orange and red...
I open the HDSP settings dialog Multiface 1 is 44.1k Multiface 2 tab is now reading "RPM"
Then the computer will freeze. I power down the computer and power it up to rest the multisets
and now I have only the 1st Multiset.

Most times I have both again when powering back up, yesterday this happened:

All was running well the past few days then it happened again right in the middle of a session.
This time it didn't freeze the computer and I was able to save the project then power it down and back up.
The dialog said Hammerfall was 32k and project 44.1k I clicked the right button which said to allow the different sample rates and Cubase resampled the Audio tracks I just had recorded. Then before I could blink another dialog appeared saying that now the Hammerfall was 44.1k and the project 32k so I clicked change the project sample rate and it resampled them all over again. The I was able to save the project and power down to reset the multisets.

Is this a bad wordclock cable, HDSP card or multiset?

Both cards with newest firmware and v3.0.8.3 driver also tried with v3.0.8.4

Lou

Re: Audiolink Samplerate problems

Could be various things... Have you tried another cable?
Also, have you tried swapping the two Multisets? When you do, where will the problem occur?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It's the second Multiset. It losses sync with the Master. The WC light would flash a couple of time before it actually failed. I disconnected it and slaved the first multiset to a MR816 via WC and routed the inputs via ADAT to the MR816 yesterday and was able to hold sessions late into the night without a problem.

Have you disabled systems sounds (if you are on a Windows machine) ?
32k sounds to me like the sampling rate of the systems crappy sounds !!!

It was definitely the multiset...
Systems sounds have been disabled and also the on board sound card for years.
When the problem happened only the second Multiset changed sample rate.
During recording the waveform for the 2 channels from that unit would bunch up on the tracks and the meters would be pegged, while the others from the first were normal. Any way all is fine now and I'm back into production.