Topic: Pipe audio data to external software

Hi,

I've looked around a bit through the documentation and the forum and haven't found an answer to this.  I am using an HDSP AES-32  and I would like to monitor the incoming 24 bit audio signals (up to 4 channels) with an external software program that I will develop for "real time" analysis and display.  The type of signal processing I need to perform is not performed by the DigiCheck software.  Also, it is necessary for my analysis to have the audio unmodified, so routing through the Windows kernel seems like a bad idea.

What's the best way for me to intercept the audio data?  Is there an API for the driver dll that I can use to grab the audio streams?  The sound card is installed at present on a Windows Xp computer, but it could be installed on Linux if that was an advantage.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Pipe audio data to external software

The search term you are looking for is "loopback", explained here and in the manual.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes, but what is the proper API to use to get the audio data into my analysis software?  Is there a software API to the dll, or must I use the "Windows core audio" API? Or is there a better way that I don't know about?

HI Brian,

ASIO Protocol would be the way to go if you want the audio stream to be unaltered and to deal with high sample rates and or bit depths.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Chris,

That look interesting.  I'll give it a closer look.

Many thanks,

Brian