Topic: Using a second PCIe card with Sonar

Greetings!

I have been happily using my 32-channel AES PCIe card with both Sonar and Pyramix (in Boot Camp mode on an 8-core Mac Pro) but have decided that I need more analog inputs (so that I can use hardware synths and effects units while mixing "in the box") in Sonar.

I was told by Cakewalk tech support that they are aware of one or two users who have systems which use multiple RME interfaces, but they can't say which ones.  Their instinct was that they should be in the same family--so that since I have a PCIe card, that my best bet would be another PCIe card.

So.. has anyone tried this--with Sonar, in either Vista or XP?  I was thinking about the HDSPe AIO, with perhaps an analog expansion board.  This would probably have to fit in a Magma expansion chassis, since I have only one PCIe slot left in the host computer (the RME AES card takes up 2, and I have two graphics cards--for four monitor support).

It would be even cooler if I could use one of the FW boxes instead, but that's probably asking too much.

Any experience anyone has with multiple RME interfaces in Sonar would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Using a second PCIe card with Sonar

All HDSP (PCI) and HDSPe (PCI express) cards use a unified ASIO driver. You can add any from this family to add more channels, as long as you are using ASIO in Sonar. The Firewire and USB units use different drivers, so they cannot be aggregated to the HDSP card in this way.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks, Jeff.  So it looks like I'll be adding the HDSPe AIO to the equation soon.  The expansion cards' description on the website seems to imply--but I just want to make sure--that I can use two of the input expansion cards (and no output one) together, since my hardware synths have no inputs, and I have enough outputs left over from the AES card anyway, which i can route to other multi-channel DACs, and then to the hardware fx units' inputs.

And, of course, I'm also assuming that these cards will work in a new 4-slot PCIe Magma chassis.

Thanks again!

"Dr. Fred"

I can use two of the input expansion cards (and no output one) together

Sorry, no. You can attach one AI4S-192 AIO for inputs, one AO4S-192 AIO for outputs, or one of each type together.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.