Topic: Help with Fireface UC or Babyface decision purchase

I have a project studio and currently use an old out-of-date E-Mu 1820m (Intel Q9550, Win7 64-bit PC). My decision to switch to RME is because of their extremely good reputation for low latency and solid software. I am currently debating either the Babyface or the Fireface UC. I also plan to purchase an Apogee Rosetta 800 and use the Optical in/out with the RME soundcard.

The main cause of concern would be jitter using the Apogee and RME together. The babyface has no word clock. The Fireface UC does. A Black Lion microclock II could be used to provide clock to both the Apogee and the Fireface UC. Is this an important aspect of modern recording, or is jitter a concern anymore with modern setups? I also am still somewhat considering an RME HDSPe/ Multiface II setup if it is considerably better spec-wise.

I record just myself usually with 2 mics on my guitar cab. ...BFD2, many, many softsynths and plugs, however along with it. thanks for any help in my decision.

-Rocky

Re: Help with Fireface UC or Babyface decision purchase

Both Apogee and RME provide active jitter suppression and a digitally synthesized clock with lowest jitter. The Black Lion mc would be just wasted money in this case. You may use any of both units as master, and clock the other one via ADAT. No word clock required at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME