Topic: Verification question: How many MADI cards in a Mac Pro or PC DAW

Hi,

I'm looking at creating a very large  2 computer DAW for a client. We were thinking that the MADI system might be perfect, but I am unsure of the total amount of channel I/O we can get from one system to the other: 128 or 192.

The question is: does each MADI card require it's own sync card making a system with 2 sync cards and 2 MADI cards, or could one create a system with 1 sync card and 3 MADI cards?

Also, there are 2 systems: the Master DAW that is a Mac Pro, and the slave, a PC. The main reason for the system is the PC DAW sending audio to the Mac (symphonic instruments, 1 articulation per stereo pair). this would all be digital. BUT I would still require at least 8 tracks of analog I/O in the system: 2 tracks from the MADI to do a stereo monitor (to hear stuff) and 8 channels of A/D (to record analog instrumentation). The 8 channels of A/D in would not need to be active all the time, but the 2 track monitor would.

Question: Is there a way for this to work using the RME MADI system? And if do, how would it work (What I'O interface, etc)?

Thanks for your time...

George Leger III

www.georgetechguru.com

Re: Verification question: How many MADI cards in a Mac Pro or PC DAW

OK, got the answer form the US distributor. One computer can slave to the other digitally over MADI, BUT the master must have both the MADI and the Sync card for each 64 tracks of I/O.

As for the analog I/O, if you use a MADI compatible A/D/A interface, you only give up 8 channels of your 196 available, for a grand total of 188 channels of I/O

George Leger III