Topic: Has anyone modded their FF800?

Curious if anyone has modded their FF800?

An engineer pal of mine reckons that throwing a couple of hundred ? at it it for high end caps and op amps could make it a truly high end device.

Just wondered if anyone had been down this route?

Thanks!

Re: Has anyone modded their FF800?

I'm just curious why you would do that.

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

Ok, do it, and then give us a review.

FF400 Bus powered|MacPro 2008-2,8x8core-16Gb ram|Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Ask him what parts you should replace.
And also ask the difference between high end and truly high end device.

sonarmods.com

Studmuffin,

Has your engineer friend actually opened up an FF800 and seen what components it uses?

Just to be sure it isn't just conjecture based upon assumptions, but from actually knowing the characteristics of the components used and having real knowledge of demonstratable improvements made by replacing them with specific components.

Quality stuff is often tweaked for the components used (in the circuit design, layout design and in-circuit adjustments), and it doesn't help putting in other components if you do not know what to do to compensate for the new devices' differences in characteristics, if in fact you can.

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.

Studmuffin wrote:

Curious if anyone has modded their FF800?

An engineer pal of mine reckons that throwing a couple of hundred ? at it it for high end caps and op amps could make it a truly high end device.

Just wondered if anyone had been down this route?

Thanks!

Dude. Seriously. Just go make music. fryingpan

The FF800 is already waaaaay ahead of the 002r (which frustrated users like to mod). The 002r's preamps suck. I always had distortion when using my AKG 414's (and no, I wasn't clipping the mic!!), the preamps were clipping. While researching the possibility of modding my 002r (black lion mod), I stumbled across the FF800, and I couldn't be happier with it. (especially coming from Digi-hell...)

The FF800 is well-built. My EE professor last semester told me about repairing one. (blown caps due to serious abuse---caused by a jankity studio grounding scheme) He was amazed at the build quality and the 'idiot proofing' that enabled the FF800 to take the abuse for 9+ months.

Again, just go make music! (if you must blow some cash, I can guarantee you'll be happier with a new instrument, new computer, or some sweet plugins!) :-)

-RG