Topic: Sudden FF800 malfunction - intermittent connection drop

Hello,

My Fireface 800 suddenly started disconnecting intermittently from my Mac Pro. The sound goes, and the red "host" LED lights up for a few seconds, then it reconnects. This keeps happening every 3-5 minutes.

It's connected to a brand new 2.93ghz quad Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. It's connected to the computer via a fw 400 cable through a 400-800 converter. It has worked fine with heavy daily use in the weeks since I got this Mac until today (1 month).

The problem showed up first today when I opened an Ableton Live session, where the only unusual fact (for me) is that I was working at 96khz.

I tried with a firmware update (2.70) and driver re-istall (273_x86) to no avail.
I tried switching firewire cables, no luck either.

I am puzzled and hard-pressed by a deadline so I could use any and all advice.

Thanks

Re: Sudden FF800 malfunction - intermittent connection drop

Also I should mention that the fireface mixer and settings apps dont quit when this happens.

Ok actually, I stand corrected on two fronts:

1. The problem occurs more often with audio apps open - every few seconds.

2. The fireface mixer app freezes when FF800 goes offline, closes the mixer window but doesnt quite. the setting app stays open.

Possibly something is interrupting the FW connection. What do you mean by "400-800 converter", is this just a cable? Do you have any other FW devices connected to the Mac Pro?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

The sonnet dongle that turns firewire 400 into 800 (Mac Pro doesn't provide fw 400 ports anymore)

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw_adapter.html

No other fw devices connected.

The same setup was working perfectly well until today...