Topic: Change Driver Memory Allocations

So, due to horrible drivers, my Digi96 still does not work with Windows XP.

In a document on RME's website, I heard that for some people, their system crashed on start-up after installing the Digi96 driver due to insufficient memory allocations. I understand this can be changed by going to System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Digi96 -> Properties -> Resources, and changing settings from there.

The problem of course, is that I can't do this without after installing the driver, rebooting the system. And I can do this, because the driver causes the system to constantly crash on startup.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. All I want to do is to get my Digi96 device working.

Re: Change Driver Memory Allocations

Hello,

there are no known issues with the drivers under XP, and they are not known to cause crashes. Which document exactly are you referring to?

Have you tested the card in another PCI slot?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, there are:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8608

Here's precisely what's happening. The audio card (Digi96 PST/8 PCI card) does not automatically install when booting Windows. I manually choose to install the 2.11 driver for Windows XP. It installs without any problems, as soon as I reboot, Windows constantly crashes and wont boot. Not surprisingly, this is fixable by entering Safe Mode and uninstalling the driver; of course as a result of this the card does not work (because the driver is installer). Sounds like a driver problem to me.

Yes, I have tried this card in another slot and multiple modern Dual-Core computers. I am confident this card does work as it works flawlessly in my old computer where by the card was automatically detected.

Please, I just want answers.

LostOverThere wrote:

Yes, there are:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8608

Not what I would describe as a "known issue" of this card.

Here's precisely what's happening. The audio card (Digi96 PST/8 PCI card) does not automatically install when booting Windows.

For some reason, this specific PC does not detect it as new hardware. Since tha card works elsewhere, this is likely to be an issue of the computer. Have you checked the device manager for unknown entries?

I manually choose to install the 2.11 driver for Windows XP. It installs without any problems, as soon as I reboot, Windows constantly crashes and wont boot. Not surprisingly, this is fixable by entering Safe Mode and uninstalling the driver; of course as a result of this the card does not work (because the driver is installer). Sounds like a driver problem to me.

No, this is "normal" behaviour when you manually force-install a driver without prior hardware detection.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by LostOverThere 2010-08-04 11:15:17)

For some reason, this specific PC does not detect it as new hardware. Since tha card works elsewhere, this is likely to be an issue of the computer. Have you checked the device manager for unknown entries?

Yeah, it detects an "Unknown Multimedia Device". This is what I'm trying to install the driver on.

No, this is "normal" behaviour when you manually force-install a driver without prior hardware detection.

...Alright then. How would you suggest I install the driver?

Thanks.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=732

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This is precisely what I've been doing. After installing, when I reboot the computer crashes on startup. As I mentioned in my first post, the only way to get the computer to work again is to uninstall the driver.

Any other unknown devices in the device manager?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Interesting. So if I give ideas on how to solve an unknown error this automatically turns it into a 'known issue' where RME can be blamed for? Thanks for that one.

I also wonder if you get an error message during the install that the driver is not for the device that you want to install it to.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I also wonder if you get an error message during the install that the driver is not for the device that you want to install it to.

I was wondering about that, too... That Multimedia device could be a third-party (onboard) thing.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

11 (edited by LostOverThere 2010-08-05 07:55:49)

Nope, none at all.

I was wondering about that, too... That Multimedia device could be a third-party (onboard) thing.

It only appears if the card is in the computer. Otherwise, it doesn't appear in Device Manager.

Thank-you.