Topic: connecting ADI-2 to MBox 2

Hi there. I've just bought an ADI-2 and have spent a couple of hours trying to connect it to my MBox 2, but still haven't got it right. I've used the instructions, but am finding them hard to understand.  What I've done so far is:

- used spdif cables to connect the 'in' to the 'out' and the 'out' to the 'in' of the two units
- attached my monitors to the output of the ADI-2
- attached the power to the ADI-2

- set the INPUT LEVEL  to Lo Gain
- and the OUTPUT LEVEL TO -10 dBV
- set the INPUT to COAX
- set the CLOCK to INP (i.e. the only dot that doesn't have a number of letters beside it)

What I get is a huge amount of volume which isn't affected by the VOL pot on the ADI-2 itself. The only way to turn it down is by using the volume control on the player I'm using (e.g. iTunes). Which becomes a problem when I'm playing a Pro Tools session because the only overall volume control is the Master Bus, which is a bad one to turn down because it kind of wrecks the mix.

I've looked around the iMac's System Setting for an option to switch the sound controls over to the ADI-2, but I can't seem to find anything.

I'm sure this is the dumbest question ever, but anyone able to see what I'm missing?

Thanks!!

Re: connecting ADI-2 to MBox 2

There is no way "to switch the sound controls over to the ADI-2", because the ADI-2 is just an external converter and not an audio interface, the Mac knows nothing about its presence.

If the ADI-2 is new, then you can set it in such a way that the volume pot will also control the line outputs. Please refer to the manual for details.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel.

I've had a bit of success now. I've managed to get everything set up so I can record via the ADI-2 (and it's a big improvement on the MBox's built-in converters), and I'm able to monitor the output of the ADI-2 through my monitor speakers (again, what a difference in sound quality!!). But I just don't know how to control the volume going to my speakers.  For example, when I get an email, the chimes that tell me there's something in my inbox are amazingly loud. And I just don't know how I can turn them down. I've tried finding an answer in the manual, but haven't had any luck. Any suggestions??

Thanks again.

It's best to deactivate system sounds... Or use the onboard sound card.
As for the jumper I mentioned, it's only present on new units. Did you buy yours straight from a shop or second-hand? What's the serial number?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I bought it on eBay. It's new (well it's meant to be), but I bought it from another country, so you never quite know. If the serial number is on the barcode under the unit, then it's:  23009555

That's seems to be the only number on it??  Does that sound right?

The unit is up-to-date. The latest downloadable manual explains how to configure volume control of the line outputs with thre front knob.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ahh!! That's a different manual from the one I got with the unit. Excellent!!

Thanks Daniel.