Topic: HDSP 9652 - system hard locking!

Hey,

My HDSP 9652 (pci)  has been problem-free for years, and I love it... Unfortunately, since a system format & re-installation of Windows XP SP3, after being installed for a range of between minutes and several hours, it will begin "hard" lock / a complete system freeze whenever audio is to be played from that point forward; the computer must be restarted manually.  It will freeze the very next time audio is attempted every time thereafter.  Bizarre!
The most recent driver and firmware are installed, however, I've tried using older versions as well, and it didn't solve the problem.
The driver looks fine, my slave devices are even syncing to it, and I am at wit's end.  I can't even be sure it's a problem with the RME unit itself, but I was hoping for some insight, if nothing else...

Thanks a lot guys, and thanks for reading.

Re: HDSP 9652 - system hard locking!

Is that an old PCB version below 1.6? Printed on the 9652.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ZeroSignal 2010-08-20 12:18:22)

The PCB is revision 1.6.  Thanks for the quick reply!
Do you think it may have something to do with IRQ, or a conflict with hardware?  It seems odd that it would have problems AFTER a format.

I've been tinkering with it, and still no luck.  I haven't been able to find any similar posts, have you seen anything like this before?

A contact check is always a good idea. Remove the card and clean its PCI gold contacts carefully with a rubber pencil, so that they shine again. Maybe it helps...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks a lot for your suggestion,
I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and q-tips (cotton swabs), and I also replaced the power supply since my 500 watt failed (upgraded to 750).  I haven't had any lockups yet, the sound initializes & plays, and recording is fine as well.  The contacts did have a bit of weird stuff on there, so I'm leaning towards that being the culprit.

Thanks again, and I appreciate your help even though it turned out to be a non-RME related issue.  Excellent!