Topic: Recording at 96k from adi-8ds<->adi-648<->hdspmadi<->samp???

Okay, I'm confused. I read the manuals but can't quite put it together.

To record 24/96 a stereo input into samplitude;

I need to put the adi-8ds into DS mode so it will do s/mux over the adat channels. the a/d clock will be set to input

The 4 adat channels carrying the sample split 2 channels into the adi648. On the adi648, I set the CLOCK to MADI EXTERNAL and
96k frame mode for MADI or WCK or none??

For the hdspMADI, I set it to internal clock (?), the open samp, create a new vip at 96k.

Based on my guess here I'm assuming the ADAT to MADI conversion combines the sample splits and delivers the 24/96 to samp
at 96k. Another guess is that I have to carry the 4 sample split channels all the way into samplitude at 48k (no combining) by setting the samp project
to 48k (which will set the hdspmadi clock to 48 and in turn the adi648....)

Could anyone clear up my confusion?

Thanks
Randy

Re: Recording at 96k from adi-8ds<->adi-648<->hdspmadi<->samp???

Your confusion starts at the MADI card. You can transfer the 96 k via SMUX (here 48k Frame in the Settings dialog) or native (96k frame). But it doesn't matter, Sam don't know about this, and the 648 automatically recognizes the 96 frame (as indicated by the LED in Input State). So it will work either way.

Same for the 648 setting which affects the MADI output signal. The card don't care about SMUX or not. Sam tells it 96, so the card will treat the input signal correctly.

Finally: the 648 does not have a DS or QS clock button, but operates in three modes - this is the nature of SMUX. The 648 will always work in 48 kHz, the signals will be received and transmitted without further change...so it can even use 192 kHz MADI to ADAT and vice versa, automatically, even if not mentioned anywhere.

The use of the 96k Frame mode has the advantage that the card would detect the correct sample rate at its input, but this is only of use when used as slave.

Still confused? cool

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Randy 2010-08-23 17:13:08)

MC wrote:

Your confusion starts at the MADI card. <SNIP>

Still confused? cool

You tell me... smile In 25 words or less, as soon as I set samp to 96k, set adi-ds to double speed mode it should just work, right?

Yo, man cool

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yo, man cool

Okay, turns out the person I was helping was using analog input 5&6. I told him he needed to use analog input 1-4 if he wanted the sample split output to go to adat main out, asked him to use input 1&2, he did, and it  "just worked". A sentence or two in the manual spelling this out explicitly (it's clearly shown in the block diagram) wouldn't hurt. smile
Nice and seamless.
In a word, RME rocks!