1 (edited by ksw1983 2010-08-23 19:35:30)

Topic: Fireface 800 Windows 7 64 bit stutters every minute or so when playing

Hi guys,

Recently bought a Fireface 800 for new PC and every minute or so the sound stutters.  This is even when playing music through media player and not even through my DAW.

I have connected to the standard sound card and played the music with no stutters. I have the lastest drivers etc...
This has lead me to believe its a firewire issue in windows as I had no problems on Win XP.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Does windows 7 run a programme or something to the firewire port to decrease bandwith or get in the way of the signal? I am really looking to see if there is something I can turn off that will sort the issue.
I have also thought about getting a Firewire to USB adapter, anyone know if this will work?

The spcs are:

3 x 12cm Case Fan, Coolermaster Cosmos S ATX, ASUS P6X58D-E MOTHERBOARD, INTEL CORE I7 920 (2.66GHZ, 8MB L2 CACHE), COOLIT ECO MULTI CPU FAN, MICROSOFT 64BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM, 6 x CORSAIR 2GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHZ RAM , 12cm LED Fan, Kingston 64GB SATA SOLID STATE DRIVE, SONY OPTIARC 24X SATA DVD BURNER, 1000GB S-ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive, XFX ATI RADEON HD 5970 2GB BLACK EDITION PCI-E GRAPHICS CARD, Coolermaster Real Power 1000W SLI Ready Power Supply, I7 CORE 2 QUAD 920 OVERCLOCKED TO 4.0GHZ PER CORE,

Thanks for your help!

Karl

Re: Fireface 800 Windows 7 64 bit stutters every minute or so when playing

Oh and I am on Legacy firewire as when I update to the other one the audio sticks, like a scratched CD.

What FW chipset are you using and did you try THIS  ?

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

How do I tell what FW chipset I am using? Not tried that I'll give it a go. Thanks

It's listed in Device Manager under IEEE 1394 .............

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

All I can see is 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) ??

Think I have sorted it now. I have disabled windows firewall and internet and it seems to have worked.

Now I have another problem though....

I am routing audio out of channel 1and 2 to a hardware EQ and back into Cubase 5 through channel 7 and 8 on the front via XLR, and I get another stutter on recording the audio back into cubase. The same for when I bounce down a VST to audio.....

Would this be a Windows 7 issue? If it is I am seriously thinking about going to Vista or back to XP!

Didnt have any issues on my old system.... Really annoying!!!

If I were you, I would NOT go to Vista - go to XP.  However I have been able to get a good result for mixing, not recording, with Windows 7 32-bit on a less-than-ideal Sony Vaio laptop that has a Ricoh FW chipset.  Use DPC Latency checker to check your streaming audio performance.  http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml  Wireless and wired networking were the biggest culprits.  Once disabled, the system got much better.  I disabled all hardware that was unnecessary to the DAW and also disabled a ton of auxilliary services using the "services.msc" control.  It still has issues with recording streaming audio with low buffer settings, however it will now mix a multiple track session with effects/dynamics reliably.

--Dean

HDSP9652 w/ AEB4-I/O - FireFace800 - 2 x Presonus Digimax FS - FriendChip DMX16/18