1 (edited by sarmad_dehnadi 2010-08-24 13:15:03)

Topic: Room EQ for RME audio interfaces

Hello Dear Matthias

I'm just wondering if there is any way for you at RME  to develop a software parametric equalizer just for one stereo pair in order to equalize the main monitor output for correcting the room mode. It can use the CPU power and does not need to rely on the on-board DSP.  It can be something like DIGI CHECK function, simply define the input and output channel and then adjust the EQ parameters. A 5-band PEQ will be enough for this purpose.

If you can do this it has benefits for us, as RME users and for you, as RME sellers. I will tell you why:

Most of us have rooms with unbalanced frequency response. We need room eq especially from 40 to 1KHz. We have to buy external PEQ for this purpose which are very expensive or low quality. There is another way for rectifying this problem and that is buying those type of new audio interfaces which have PEQ as on-board DSP,devices like MOTU MK3 lines or TC ELECTRONIC or even EMU, Which directly affects your selling point.

Don't get me wrong, I have just moved to FF800 because I trust in RME hardware quality but I myself  had difficult time choosing between FF800 or MOTU 828MK3. Motu has this feature and though  it's a great help  I finally ended up with RME, but there is no guarantee that the other customers do the same. Don't forget that it's about 6 years that the FF800 is in the market without any change. I agree that the hardware is so powerful that does not need upgrade but regarding  the software while again the Totalmix is more than great in flexibility, Comparing to recent softwares, it's a little back regarding the looks and the functions, which the later will be very important for users.

If you can implement this function somewhere in the driver or digicheck it will be a great upgrade. I repeat that it does not need to use on-board DSP  power, It can use CPU power for its processing and it does not need much CPU power 'cos it's just a stereo PEQ.

I hope you think about this suggestion.

Best regards
Sarmad Dehnadi

Re: Room EQ for RME audio interfaces

That would be a great addition indeed. Nothing can tell you how to set that corrective EQ though as long as it's not a system with a calibrated mic + analyzer though. The latter could be integrated into DigiCheck...

I have a method to tune the speakers up to 600 Hz by my ear and it's much more accurate that any calibration mic+ analyzer.

sarmad_dehnadi wrote:

I have a method to tune the speakers up to 600 Hz by my ear and it's much more accurate that any calibration mic+ analyzer.

Well...

Is it a secret?

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

sarmad_dehnadi wrote:

I'm just wondering if there is any way for you at RME  to develop a software parametric equalizer just for one stereo pair in order to equalize the main monitor output for correcting the room mode.

Have you tried the Vista/Windows7 room eq that seems to be already supported by the new drivers? Or what you have in mind is something different?

Ok first I should say that  Windows 7 room eq is not any help because most of us are using ASIO. I simply meant a parametric eq between DAW software main output and RME physical out put. I'm sure it is possible for RME  team to do that and it will the best way to tune the room.
Automatic tuning  programs are not reliable and the resulting sound is sometimes ridiculous.  It is possible to tune the room  up to 700 Hz by the ear.

Until something like this is offered there should not be much of a problem putting an EQ on your ASIO application's Master bus (and create a template that opens all new project with that setting). This also gives the additional convenience of having the EQ controls inside your DAW (no need to switch windows).

8 (edited by sarmad_dehnadi 2010-08-28 21:06:16)

Timur wrote:

Until something like this is offered there should not be much of a problem putting an EQ on your ASIO application's Master bus (and create a template that opens all new project with that setting). This also gives the additional convenience of having the EQ controls inside your DAW (no need to switch windows).

I'm using the same method but beside complexity , this method is only applicable for DAW software. What about the media player for example? you may say use media player EQ !!!!! Then what if I want to listen to music via Headphone(no room eq needed)?

I hope the people at RME hear my words and do this big upgrade for their audio cards.

9 (edited by djklangstrahler 2010-08-30 11:17:57)

i am using some tools for that. 1. virtuell audio cable for routing the signal from media player to a vst host.
2 as vst host you can use "console" or cubase, ableton. in the back.
3. in this host i use the arc system.
you can correct the latenzies in your media player. vlc player for example.
a good room correction is correcting the phases and impulses. thats much more importent than the freqenzies.
( if you have good speakers)
if you use simple,cheap eqs to correct your room, you will earn more phase and impulse trash. spezially when you try to correct the lower freqenzies below 500hz. in that range you mostly need to correct more than 6db up or down to get a good result.
most of the monitors below 3000 euro would need such a correction when they are new, and placed in a very good room.
and this will force your phases to not useable.

it would be great, to have a vst plug in slot in the firface mixer. there are some very good and not too expensive eqs which are
phase linear. nearly. that would be much better as to use a simple implemented eq . phase linear or nothing. it would also possible to use the arc system.
there is a second possibility to get a solution. with impulse response.
some media player like foobar are using this solution to get a room correction including phase and impulse correction.
you can use a messuring program ( sorry forgot the name) to create an impulse response of your room. than the program will calculate you an corrected impulse response for your room. This file you can use with a little plug in for media players like foobar or win amp.
it should be possible to make it work  also with the rme software.
that would also make a big advantage to all other audio hardware companies.
i know that a cheap audio card, in a bad room, with cheap monitors, with a good working room correction, sounds much better as a high end card without correction.
i am using coustom made monitors around 10000 euro, pure silver cables, and aqvox dac for mastering. in my mastering studio is no need to correct the frequenzies. they are nearly linear. but i use the arc system and i wont miss it anymore.
any eq is doing something bad to the original signal. also the arc. but i can accept that because of the phase and impulse correction.
to make a mix alive. placed on a big stage. you need to hear the room that you want to create.