Topic: Will a Fireface 800 work with a Firewire to USB adapter?

Will Windows 7 see it?

Anyone know?

Cheers

Re: Will a Fireface 800 work with a Firewire to USB adapter?

I am really interested in this as well. I have a Fireface 400, and a new laptop with no fire wire port. If Windows 7 does see it, are there any performance implications to worry about? Or will the Firefaces work perfectly? I'd love an official answer from RME on this. As fire wire ports become less prevalent, this is an important consideration.

Thanks!

No such thing exists. You need a firewire chipset built-in, or an Expresscard slot that can take a Firewire card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Maybe in the future we should just say 'try it' and let them search for such a device...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Maybe in the future we should just say 'try it' and let them search for such a device...

That wouldn't be very nice. smile

That said, I did some research. Off hand, I was like, "there's no way". USB and FW are different protocols. But, some say you can use a certain type of hub for this. Even if that were possible, I bet the data transmission would be slowed by the translation between USB and FW such that it would be rendered unsuitable for audio.

If you Google "firewire USB adapter" you'll get a surprising number of hits.  Such things ARE available, and from reputable sources.  Apparently some video cameras are capable of dumping from a firewire port direct to USB through a simple passive adapter.  It won't work for us though :-(

Tried it, it didnt read it. The Host led is always illuminated.