1 (edited by El Duderino 2010-09-01 00:00:30)

Topic: Global Record the or DAW Software for secure recording?

Hello!

Last week we recorded a concert with the fireface UC and Global Record. Everything went fine until the Google Updater tried to update some of their software - the maschine wasn't online. This lead to some dropouts and at the end some heavy loop-style recording errors for many seconds (the Digicheck record error list was full of entrys - so much, the window displayed only the last ones unable to scroll - hint: missing feature - save as text file). I shut down the service completly but I'm not totally sure that this error would never happen again (maybe it was another software...). So my question is: If I use Cubase 5.5 for the recording and the case happens again, is Cubase a more safe option for recording (because of better "avoidance-stragedy" - bigger puffers)? Or doesn't the software used matter because of the fact that error happens in the "Asio-Level"? I'm not sure about this topic.

With best regards
El Duderino

ps. the laptop (thinkpad t400s) was already in live situations were this never happened - everything worked fine. the only disadvantage of this maschine is the slow hard drive because of the 1,8" form factor. So if some software in the background makes "heavy moves" the disk isn't very performant. An ssd will be the first upgrade in the future :-).

Re: Global Record the or DAW Software for secure recording?

Honestly, your first "upgrade" should be a seperate audio operating system on your machine. I can only recommend a second Windows installation on another partition of your harddrive. Keep Google out of your audio system... wink

Best,
laex

DC rules!

Re: Global Record the or DAW Software for secure recording?

laex wrote:

Honestly, your first "upgrade" should be a seperate audio operating system on your machine. I can only recommend a second Windows installation on another partition of your harddrive. Keep Google out of your audio system... wink

Yeah, I know. Our big DAW-system is so configured but on a laptop harddisc you don't have that much space. When I installed Win 7 and tried out my live setup with it, despite my scepticism, it functioned really well. No problems at all. So only for some recording with DC i don't want to install a seperate system...

But thanks for the advice. With the Sysinternals Suite program autoruns.exe I have managed their background hazzle and the biggest improvement was changing the buffer size of the soundcard to maximum. - I always thougt that doesn't interested DC because it's working in another "special" way with the card as promoted ;-). It's easy to be wise after the event.