1 (edited by Schmiddi 2010-09-09 20:11:30)

Topic: Lost Samples in Samplitude with Digiface

Hello users,

i use a RME Digiface with Samplitude on an ASUS Laptop, P4, win xp.
The complete System is older, but works very safe, no crashes or something.

If you start Samplitude (with ASIO) and open a Projekt for recording, in the playback section of total mix the meters show peaks, when there`s an input signal at the tracks.

If Samplitude is closed and there`s an input signal, everything works fine, and no peaks or something.

But together with sam (working with ASIO), you see the peaks and and signals of -90dB to -50dB at every totalmix plackback channel with an input signal.

If you listen to the recorded audio, you hear crackles (i dont know the exact word in english) in Samplitude. You also see the empty samples.

In the past, everything worked and suddenly the crackles are on tape.
I can`t say exactly, if the failure exists since the last driver or firmware update of Digiface.

The rest of the system was never updated, no internet, no virusscan or something else, just samplitude and rme tools, very safe, no crash since years. so we decided, no update, no other program, nothing!

I also posted in samplitude forum (more details, but in german language), but no working proposal until today.
a member meant, that`s a problem with the pci hardware busmanagement, so we should use an other grafic card. but with a laptop.....

I can`t really believe that, because the system was functional in the past.
I checked the system with a DPC Latency Tool, while recording 16 tracks, not more than 800 milliseconds.

Perhaps somebody could help me?
Is it posiible to get an older driver version or flash tool and could this work?

thanks a lot and sorry for my broken english!!

schmiddi

Re: Lost Samples in Samplitude with Digiface

What is the current driver/firmware that you use now, and what did you use before? Did you try the simple Windows Device manager 'use previous driver' - function?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Schmiddi 2010-09-10 09:15:16)

Hi,

we use the latest Firmware and Driver from this page.

Before, we used the older driver and firmware.

With windwos, i cant recover the old driver and firmware, so i tried to install it manually.
But it doesn`t change, its also the newest version.

I`ll try to get the new one off, so perhaps the 2.94V could work?

I think, the problem occurs since the update, where TotalMix got the new skin.....similar to my MADI preset change crackle problem in an other older post....which isn`t fixed yet.
Before changing, everything works very fine....

regards

schmiddi

Hello,

now, i could totally deinstall the driver 3.52 and could totally remove it.

After remove the hdsp in the system and restart the system, we have to install a driver for the hdsp hardware.
So i used the older driver v2.94.
While installing, the system searches file hdsp.sys, hdsp_64.sys and hdsp.inf.

These files were not in the driver folder, so i decided to install without these files, to flash the card with the old fw.

After flashing, disconnecting from energie, i restarted the system and the driver has to be installed again.

So i did this, but the files aren`t in the folder, as told on the top of this post.

Perhaps the problem is the hardware flash rev 17. Is it posiible to downgrade the fw of the hdsp to rev 15?? Perhaps with rev 15. it will work together the driver 2.94?!?!?

regards

schmiddi

If the system still searches for these files, you haven't totally removed the driver, some .inf or so remains.
Also, what driver version exactly was installed previously? Haven't heard of "3.52"...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

i totally removed the driver, and removed the card from the system.
Before, we used driver 3.52 and i want to downgrade to 2.94 with fw rev 15, actually.
The porblem is: with fw rev 17, i cant install driver 2.94. I cant install it, cause he searches for the told files.
But i can`t "downflash" the card without a driver.
When i`ll "downflash" the card with installed driver 3.52, to downgrade the bios, he always writes, up-to-date with rev17. i cant get rev15.
So, i cant remove flash rev 17, to install the older driver v 2.94 and i can`t flash the fw without a driver.
Thats the problem.
Is it possible to clear the fw totally or something else??

regards
schmiddi

Which driver are you referring to exactly...? There is no "3.52" version for the HDSP cards... 3.085 maybe?
The search for the files you mentioned has nothing to do with the firmware. You are either not installing correctly or some .inf remains which refers to thes files.

Schmiddi wrote:

When i`ll "downflash" the card with installed driver 3.52, to downgrade the bios, he always writes, up-to-date with rev17. i cant get rev15.

Which version of the fut is this?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sry, its driver version 3.085, that was my fault, please read all 3.52 as 3.085.
Flashtool is https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_win_dsp.zip. to get to rev 15, that should work togehter with the old driver 2.94 (6).

So, i can`t install driver 2.94(6) correctly, cause some files were missing.

And i cant donwflash our card to rev15, to install driver 2.94(6) correctly.

regards

schmiddi

Schmiddi wrote:

So, i can`t install driver 2.94(6) correctly, cause some files were missing.

No files are missing... These are part of the new driver. If the installation routine still searches for them, it means (as I said) that you are either not installing correctly and/or that some .inf file of the new driver was not removed, and still tells WIndows that these files are required.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello again,

i`ve deinstalled all rme drivers, removed all paths manually and searched via windows search for hdsp.inf, hdsp_64.sys and so on.
No file could be found, so i thought, that the new driver ist totally deinstalled. am i wrong??? Should i search elsewhere?

Than, i tried to install v2.94(6) and he asked again after the files. so wheres the problem? what can i do to delete all RME driver 3.0xx filse from our system??

I thought, that he needs these files, cause theres rev 17 installed, but you didnt agree to my suggestion.

regards

How exactly are you trying to install? Exactly according to these instructions?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Daniel,

i always tried it manually, but not via searching for manufactures and so on.
So, driver downgrade was succsessfully to 2.94(6) with Hardware rev17.
But the problem with the lost samples also occurs, strangely after track 6 up to 12. Channel 1-5 work fine and loose no samples.
Is there another older driver?? The problem is, the system worked with 12 inputs in the past.

Thanks a lot.

schmiddi

I doubt that an older driver will help.
Have you tried this? http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704
Have there been any other changes to the system? The symptoms described seem to indicate a problem of the Cardbus interface on the laptop.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

thank you for your answer.
I already used Latency Check, the latency goes maximum to 800mikroseconds, which is green in the programm. I think its a bit high, but for this system very good.

We didn`t do other changes, cause the system is very proper and runs runs runs.

Until 4 weeks, the crackles are on tape, but i cant exactly describe since when the problems occure.

And yes, we use the cardbus.

I also installed sam v11.1, but its the same failure, lost samples in the wave.

regards

schmiddi

We got a little bit off track here (and I deleted your redundant new thread).

The flash tool for flashing revision 15 is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/revision15.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello agaibn,

thank you for the link.
I could successfully install the hardware revission 15, but it wont work. Always those crackles.

But perhaps, i could solve the problem with other latency settings.
Our card was set to 512samples when the problem occure, so i decided to set it down to 256 or 128.
And now, the system works fine, no crackles, no signal in the playbackdevice while recording.

I`m a little confused, could this solve the problem?? Have you ever heard about it??
Was 512samples to much?? Does it work better with less latency?

regards

schmiddi

Yes, this behaviour has been reported before. About one customer every 6 months, I think, with screwed up computers...there is no logical explanation for this...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You can try the following things:

Make sure that *any* software/driver for media and other special keys for your Asus laptop is killed. Does it make a difference?

Try running the laptop on battery (unplugged) and try with and without the onboard audio driver being installed (deactivate via Device-Manager).

Unplug *all* other external connections, including USB and external display.

Deactivate *all* USB hubs/ports/devices apart from the keyboard (try even that, but make sure you've got mouse control to reactivate it).

What buffer settings have you applied in Samplitude, have you tried others? There may be a connection. The Samplitude manual or F1 Help may have some information. I'll admit I'm mostly speculating, but it might be worth a try.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME